Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Alexander Hitchins <cl...@alexhitchins.com> on 2013/08/29 21:18:13 UTC

Starting with Cloudstack - Questions

Hi everyone

I’m new to Cloudstack and need some initial help and guidance. Greatly
appreciate if anybody is able to help me out. I'm signed up to the users
and dev mailing groups; apologies if this is the wrong group for this
subject.

We’ve recently done a POC in our organisation on Cloudstack and are
thinking about adopting it in our organisation.

I’m looking at how we’re going to support it going forward (and maybe make
some developments ourselves) and one of our options is to get some of our
internal developers up to speed. So, we’re interested in working with the
Cloudstack code.

The first thing I’d like to establish is what technologies Cloudstack is
based on. I understand its written in java, but it would be great if I
could get an understanding of the sort of skills and experience required to
be able to work with the code (i.e. databases, frameworks etc). Also, an
idea of what other knowledge developers should have (I’d guess they need to
know about virtualisation, etc). Then I’ll know who in my team to get
involved.

I’d also like to find out how to go about setting up a Cloudstack
development environment; if there are any good/easy ways to go about doing
this so we can take an initial look at the code & how it all hangs together.

Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction – is this
information published anywhere?

Many thanks for you time!
*Alexander Hitchins*
-------------------------
e: alex@alexhitchins.com
w: alexhitchins.com
m: 07788 423 969

Re: Starting with Cloudstack - Questions

Posted by Alexander Hitchins <cl...@alexhitchins.com>.
Thanks Kirk, I've joined the dev and issues lists.

I'm going to spend as much time as I can this weekend getting an
environment together I can play with (and break!).

*Alexander Hitchins*
-------------------------
e: alex@alexhitchins.com
w: alexhitchins.com