Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Reik Schatz <re...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/15 10:06:12 UTC

heap usage

Hi,

recently we are hitting some OOM: Java heap space, so I was investigating
how the heap is used in Cassandra 1.2+

We use the calculated 4G heap. Our cluster is 6 nodes, around 750 GB data
and a replication factor of 3. Row cache is disabled. All key cache and
memtable settings are left at default.

Is the primary key index kept in heap memory? We have a bunch of keyspaces
and column families.

Thanks,
Rik

Re: heap usage

Posted by Bryan Talbot <bt...@aeriagames.com>.
Aren't bloom filters kept off heap in 1.2?

Disabling bloom filters also disables tombstone removal as well, so don't
disable them if you delete anything.

I believe that the index samples (by default every 128th entry) are still
kept in in memory so your JVM memory will scale with the number of rows
stored.  Additional memory is used for every keyspace and CF too so if you
have thousands of CF that could be an issue.

-Bryan

Re: heap usage

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: heap usage

Posted by Blake Manders <bl...@crosspixel.net>.

--

*Blake Manders** |** **CTO*****

Cross Pixel, Inc. *| *494 8th Ave, Penthouse *| *NYC 10001

Website: crosspixel.ne <http://www.crosspixel.net/>t<http://www.crosspixel.net/>
Twitter: twitter.com/CrossPix