Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1996/04/24 17:57:31 UTC

SSI replacement for Apache. (fwd)

> To: Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>, hartill@lanl.gov, hsf@sweng.stortek.com
> Subject: SSI replacement for Apache.
> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 20:15:49 -0600
> From: Howard Fear <hs...@sweng.stortek.com>
>
> I've uploaded xssi-1.1 which works with apache 1.1.
>
> Howard Fear      email1: howard_fear@stortek.com
> StorageTek       email2: hsf@sweng.stortek.com
> (303)673-5170    http://pageplus.com/~hsf/

I've tried in under HPUX. Works fine.

This version comes with Henry Spencer's regexpr package, but for
many systems it'll work with the standard regexpr stuff.

  http://hyperreal.com/httpd/patches/incoming/xssi-1.1.tar.gz

Give it a whirl, it kicks mod_include.c ass. Would one of
the techno-types out there care to take a look and comment on
whether it can be merged into 1.1
I know we have a feature freeze, but this thing doesn't interfere
with the existing code, it can be dropped in without affecting anyone
who doesn't choose to use it.

Having regexpr stuff on hand should make future toys easier to
implement.

In Howard's README he says,

  "(WARNING: the use of any ssi program will increase the load on your
   server.  xssi is much worse in this regard than the standard apache
   ssi due to its parsing and its handling of regular expressions.
   If you are running a heavily loaded server, you should think twice
   about running xssi.)"

This ignores the huge positive performance gains that can be
realised from using Apache SSI to do the job of some CGI includes.
A few regular expression parses in Apache is a tiny CPU hit compared
to CGI.  Howard, you should sell that point!  :-)

rob
--
   Windows NT  -  the electronic equivalent of British Beef.