Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Joel Shellman <jo...@ikestrel.com> on 2004/07/12 16:21:38 UTC

IndexSearcher usage and caching?

I'm working on a document management system using lucene to search
through all the documents.

This means that I'll be adding/updating/deleting documents at the same
time searches are going on.

I thought to create an IndexSearcher and reuse it throughout, but that
doesn't seem to work. If I do a search, then add a document, and do
another search with the same IndexSearcher, it won't find the newly
added document.

I'd rather not have to create a new IndexSearcher for every query... do
I have to?

Thanks,

-joel shellman

Re: IndexSearcher usage and caching?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Cache/reuse your IndexSearcher.
On every search, check if the index has changed (there are methods for
that).
If it has changed, create a new IndexSearcher and assign it to your
IndexSearcher variable, and do not close the old IndexSearcher, just in
case something is still using it.

Otis