Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/18 17:41:28 UTC

ESME-291 - replies duplicated in streams and public timeline

Hi all,

Dick did some testing after my commits today and found a couple of issues.
The first (ESME-290) was that I broke the public timeline. That is now
fixed.

The second issue is ESME-291 -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-291.  The problem is that replies
show up duplicated in the streams view and in the public timeline view
(though in the public timeline view it is *only* for messages that were
created before the public timeline actor started up, so if you create new
replies you need to restart the server to see them duplicated in the public
timeline). This is actually an old issue. It exists at least in release 1.1
and probably well before that.

The reason this is happening is that when a reply is created there are
actually two messages created and persisted to the database. One is created
in the UserActor, which is what is supposed to happen. But another message
is created somewhere else and I can't figure out where! Any ideas?

Ethan

Re: ESME-291 - replies duplicated in streams and public timeline

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.
I submitted a fix. The problem was in the fixConversation method,
which tried to save the newly created message yet again. When a
message has been already saved in the DB, it has an ID and this save
isn't a problem, because the message is updated. When the message is
newly created, it doesn't have a valid ID, so save saves yet another
message instead of updating the old one.

Vassil

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Whoops, was a bit late with my explanation :-) Thanks for
investigating and fixing it. Awesome!

Ethan

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
OK - deployed on stax and it works