Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Thomas Harold <th...@nybeta.com> on 2013/09/15 03:54:13 UTC

Re: How to keep SA from Attaching the spammy messages (version control)

On 9/13/2013 9:01 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> writes:
>
>>  From man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf:
>>
>> report_safe 0
>
> Thanks, I see I commented it out for some experiment several mnths
> ago, and of course, forgot to uncomment.

(chuckles and mutters something about "version control systems")

On a more serious note, this is why we use FSVS to version control
everything under /etc, /usr/local and a few other things on our machines.

- I can do a diff and see everything that I've changed in the config
file between the original install and now.

- The use of commit comments gives me a place to explain why I was
making a particular change (in addition to putting a comment into the file).

- I have a timeline of all changes that I made to the server.  That
gives me a range of dates if I need to go back and look at my SSH
session logs.

- It functions as a rudimentary tripwire, or at least tracks all changes
in the directories being version controlled.

Re: How to keep SA from Attaching the spammy messages (version control)

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 21:54 -0400, Thomas Harold wrote:
> On 9/13/2013 9:01 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> writes:
> >
> >>  From man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf:
> >>
> >> report_safe 0
> >
> > Thanks, I see I commented it out for some experiment several mnths
> > ago, and of course, forgot to uncomment.
> >

> (chuckles and mutters something about "version control systems")
>
> On a more serious note, this is why we use FSVS to version control
> everything under /etc, /usr/local and a few other things on our machines.

Same here, and for the same reasons, though I use CVS.

Martin

Re: How to keep SA from Attaching the spammy messages (version control)

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 14 Sep 2013, Thomas Harold wrote:

> On 9/13/2013 9:01 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>  Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> writes:
>>
>> >   From man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf:
>> >
>> >  report_safe 0
>>
>>  Thanks, I see I commented it out for some experiment several mnths
>>  ago, and of course, forgot to uncomment.
>
> (chuckles and mutters something about "version control systems")
>
> On a more serious note, this is why we use FSVS to version control everything
> under /etc, /usr/local and a few other things on our machines.

+1

I do the same thing using RCS.

   Liberals love sex ed because it teaches kids to be safe around their
   sex organs. Conservatives love gun education because it teaches kids
   to be safe around guns. However, both believe that the other's
   education goals lead to dangers too terrible to contemplate.
  3 days until the 226th anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution

Re: How to keep SA from Attaching the spammy messages (version control)

Posted by Harry Putnam <re...@newsguy.com>.
Thomas Harold <th...@nybeta.com> writes:

> On 9/13/2013 9:01 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> writes:
>>
>>>  From man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf:
>>>
>>> report_safe 0
>>
>> Thanks, I see I commented it out for some experiment several mnths
>> ago, and of course, forgot to uncomment.
>>

> (chuckles and mutters something about "version control systems")
>
> On a more serious note, this is why we use FSVS to version control
> everything under /etc, /usr/local and a few other things on our
> machines.
>
> - I can do a diff and see everything that I've changed in the config
> file between the original install and now.
>
> - The use of commit comments gives me a place to explain why I was
> making a particular change (in addition to putting a comment into the
> file).
>
> - I have a timeline of all changes that I made to the server.  That
> gives me a range of dates if I need to go back and look at my SSH
> session logs.
>
> - It functions as a rudimentary tripwire, or at least tracks all
> changes in the directories being version controlled.

After spending some time on (What I guess is FSVS
home:http://fsvs.tigris.org/) I still don't know what it does that
makes it any better than several other vcs systems.

The Purpose statement is pretty thin.