Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> on 2013/10/15 07:22:38 UTC

[New Architecture] Topology Events Proposal - V1

Hi,

Please find the initial version of Topology Events Proposal below. These
events are added to org.apache.stratos.messaging component
org.apache.stratos.messaging.event.topology package.

[image: Inline image 1]

Above events will be fired by Cloud Controller in the following manner:

1. Service Created Event
2. Cluster Created Event
3. Member Started Event
4. Member Activated Event
5. Member Suspended Event (Could trigger at any point after starting a
member)
6. Member Terminated Event (Could trigger at any point after starting a
member)
7. Cluster Removed Event (Could trigger at any point after creating a
cluster)
8. Service Removed Event (Could trigger at any point after creating a
service)
9. Complete Topology Event (Will be triggered periodically after tx time
period)

Please feel free to add your thoughts.

Note:
When we are introducing new events for other message broker topics, we
could add sub packages under org.apache.stratos.messaging.event with the
topic name.

Many Thanks
Imesh

Re: [New Architecture] Topology Events Proposal - V1

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Imesh,

I think it's useful to add some context as to when a particular event would
occur. I'm trying to do that for the things you missed, along with few
suggestions.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please find the initial version of Topology Events Proposal below. These
> events are added to org.apache.stratos.messaging component
> org.apache.stratos.messaging.event.topology package.
>
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> Above events will be fired by Cloud Controller in the following manner:
>
> 1. Service Created Event

This will be triggered when a new cartridge got deployed to Stratos.

> 2. Cluster Created Event

This will be triggered when a tenant made a subscription to a cartridge.

Imesh, I don't think it makes sense to add cloud, zone, region here. IMO
that information is not available at this point of time.

> 3. Member Started Event

This will be triggered when a new cartridge instance is starting up in an
IaaS.

And IMO this is where we need cloud, zone, region.
Also I don't think we should have port map here.

4. Member Activated Event

This will be triggered when a cartridge instance is up and running and
ready to serve requests.

Here we need port mappings, member IP, member properties etc.

5. Member Suspended Event (Could trigger at any point after starting a
> member)

This will be triggered by CC, if it wants this particular member to put
into maintenance mode.

> 6. Member Terminated Event (Could trigger at any point after starting a
> member)

This will be triggered by CC, when it terminates a Member.

7. Cluster Removed Event (Could trigger at any point after creating a
> cluster)

This will be triggered by CC, when an unsubscription occurred.

> 8. Service Removed Event (Could trigger at any point after creating a
> service)

This will be triggered by CC, when a cartridge got undeployed (removed).

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.
Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.

Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: [New Architecture] Topology Events Proposal - V1

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.
Hi Imesh,

Another suggestion for the Events. If one of the instance is in unhealthy
state like one port is not up, then the instance should inform it's
unhealthy state to CC through a different event. So that CC will update the
member as in "inactive" state. Then only Stratos monitor can update the
dashboard accordingly.

Thanks,
Reka

Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Software Engineer,
WSO2, Inc.:http://wso2.com,
Mobile: +94776442007

Re: [New Architecture] Topology Events Proposal - V1

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Sanjiva,

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,