Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2016/10/19 08:30:40 UTC

Git @apache (was: [PROPOSAL] Split the main NetBeans repo)

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 1:21 AM, Wade Chandler <co...@wadechandler.com> wrote:
> ...Does the Apache git infra support pull requests?...

I'll describe the current status, a more integrated experimental
workflow is used by a few projects but AFAIK not ready for more
widespread use right now.

The general idea is that only bare Git repositories are hosted at
Apache, they are the canonical repositories from which releases are
made.

Those repositories are automatically mirrored to GitHub, to be able to
take advantage of (most of) the nice GitHub tools.

https://reference.apache.org/committer/git has the general info, and
in addition https://reporeq.apache.org/ allows for creating new Git
repositories on Apache infrastructure.

Several Apache projects work with GitHub pull requests,
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=61311655
is a good example of that AFAICS.

I'm not involved in any Apache projects using Git so far so other
mentors can probably add to this.

-Bertrand

Re: Git @apache (was: [PROPOSAL] Split the main NetBeans repo)

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 10/19/2016 11:32 AM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> Great though I think we need to plan/design our repo structure first.
> Though I guess every Apache project using Git has one single Apache Git
> repo, with substructures below that, and not multiple Apache Git repos? If
> so, we could already request that repo? We should definitely look at other
> Apache Git repos to see how they're structured.

On the contrary, that varies wildly.
Some have just one repo, some have 50 :)

With regards,
Daniel.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...Though I guess every Apache project using Git has one single Apache Git
> repo, with substructures below that, and not multiple Apache Git repos?...

As Daniel says it's not like that, see https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf

Sling is planning to transition to Git and we'll probably end up with
as many repositories as we have build jobs at
https://builds.apache.org/view/S-Z/view/Sling/ so around 300 ;-)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Jenkins & Git @apache (was: [PROPOSAL] Split the main NetBeans repo)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Jaroslav Tulach wrote:

> The code in the repo would remain under the current NetBeans license, but
> I don't think it matters, we are incubating - the goal is to test the
> infrastructure and re-licensing can wait.

Exactly, I had assumed the above was true, but it isn't.

Gj

Re: Jenkins & Git @apache

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
> As others already explained we must only import stuff
> to ASF repos which already got granted and are properly ALv2 licensed

I see. I try to play with the temp repo then.
-jt

Re: Jenkins & Git @apache (was: [PROPOSAL] Split the main NetBeans repo)

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Oh just seen Betrand was faster than I.
So all done already.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Ah, OK. Great.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
But that bit of similar code in order to test the infrastructure would also
need a software grant to be able to import it into an Apache repository?

Gj

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
The problem that we're facing is that we'd like to experiment and see
whether we can set up our code base and work through a process, e.g.,
exactly as Jaroslav describes at the start of this thread. Is there really
i.e., push there http://hg.netbeans.org/releases and get access to some

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
19. 10. 2016 v 11:00, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Geertjan Wielenga
> <ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> ...there's nothing stopping us right now from setting up our Git
>> repo and having it mirrored on GitHub...
>
> Definitely - just choose a repository name that you won't need to
> overwrite when migrating the NetBeans code later.

Hi,
am I right that some real action can now happen?

If so, I'd like 4GB space in a Git repository to push there http://hg.netbeans.org/releases and access to some Jenkins builder that I can set up to produce build from that repository.

Can I get it?
-jt

PS:  I know 4GB is a lot for software repo, but c'mon it is 2016 and it is less than one movie.

PPS: The code in the repo would remain under the current NetBeans license, but I don't think it matters, we are incubating - the goal is to test the infrastructure and re-licensing can wait.g

Re: Git @apache (was: [PROPOSAL] Split the main NetBeans repo)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Wade Chandler
<co...@wadechandler.com> wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2016 3:16 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> ...I think it's quite easy now via https://reporeq.apache.org/ but as I
>> said I haven't used that myself so far.
>>
> So, to double check, on GitHub auto mirroring, is that then automatically
> done by the same requests?...

That page points to https://reference.apache.org/pmc/github which
explains what's setup by reporeq

Posted by Wade Chandler <co...@wadechandler.com>.
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Wade Chandler
> <co...@wadechandler.com> wrote:
> > ...how difficult is it to setup many small repos for a project through
the Apache processes?...

> I think it's quite easy now via https://reporeq.apache.org/ but as I
> said I haven't used that myself so far.

So, to double check, on GitHub auto mirroring, is that then automatically
done by the same requests? I could not get the URL to load when I just
tried it; to check it out.

Thanks

Wade

Re: Git @apache (was: [PROPOSAL] Split the main NetBeans repo)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <co...@wadechandler.com>.
I suggest we don’t bundle such things into a single repo from the start. Maybe the historic contrib, for a start, and even that broken apart later, but IMO, each plugin or set of them (in some cases) should have its/their own repo; make things specific. Too, we should discuss what contrib means in the future (present?) context. At the moment there are some things which are just historic. I have a couple there which I now personally host on Bitbucket because it is easier to work with. Too, some will be Maven, Ant, or Gradle, so would have to figure out what that means. Now that we are going to be at Github, I think there are things we can do to make things easier. Some thoughts on that: One can contribute a plugin without having to have access to all other repos, unless that is automatic, the repos can be smaller, we don’t have to worry about growth of the repo, and they will be more precise with less opportunities for collisions and giant logs for N number of contexts which will be irrelevant to most as they work on their own portion of the sub-tree; for me some of contrib was a hold over from svn and CVS days/thoughts.

Bertrand, or others, how difficult is it to setup many small repos for a project through the Apache processes? I think you have given some links, and I will read up on them, but maybe that is a quick answer for you guys.

Thanks,

Wade

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Even while we don't have the SGA yet (in process in Oracle at the moment),
we could already set up our Git repo and somewhere I imagine we'll have a
place where anyone can commit plugin code, i.e., a subfolder called
'contrib', where ultimately the NetBeans contrib repo will be migrated.
Until that happens, which will be when we have done the SGA, we can commit
completely new code there, i.e., not code that is part of the transition,
but new code, e.g., I'm working on several plugins, which I'd like to put
into that 'contrib' section of the Apache NetBeans Git repo.

In short, there's nothing stopping us right now from setting up our Git
repo and having it mirrored on GitHub.

Gj

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <