Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Floyd Brown <fb...@terahop.com> on 2008/04/09 20:04:02 UTC

Sample apps and SSL (and Apache) accidently working

I have Axis2-C 1.3.0 built with SSL and have installed the mod-axis2 for
Apache. The non-SSL setup works great with the supplied samples (echo,
math...), but when I try to enable the client for SSL, things break down
rapidly although I can see https://localhost/axis2/services (all
services are listed).

Using Wireshark, I first realized that no data was leaving the client.
In the clients log file, I see the error:

[error] math_client.c(147) Stub invoke FAILED: Error code: 2 :: NULL
parameter was passed when a non NULL parameter was expected

I made the changes to the axis2.xml to enable the "transportSender" as
recommended in section "13.1.2 Configuration"

<transportSender name="https" class="axis2_http_sender">
        <parameter name="PROTOCOL" locked="false">HTTP/1.1</parameter>
</transportSender>

and added the parameter "SERVER_CERT" as well. I also generated the cert
by using the "openssl s_client ..." example.

Now I accidentally changed transportReceiver to https, and things
mysteriously started working.

Can someone update the documents, or is it working by mistake?

Thanks

Floyd

Re: Sample apps and SSL (and Apache) accidently working

Posted by Dimuthu Gamage <di...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Floyd Brown <fb...@terahop.com> wrote:
> I have Axis2-C 1.3.0 built with SSL and have installed the mod-axis2 for
>  Apache. The non-SSL setup works great with the supplied samples (echo,
>  math...), but when I try to enable the client for SSL, things break down
>  rapidly although I can see https://localhost/axis2/services (all
>  services are listed).
>
>  Using Wireshark, I first realized that no data was leaving the client.
>  In the clients log file, I see the error:
>
>  [error] math_client.c(147) Stub invoke FAILED: Error code: 2 :: NULL
>  parameter was passed when a non NULL parameter was expected
>

>  I made the changes to the axis2.xml to enable the "transportSender" as
>  recommended in section "13.1.2 Configuration"
>
>  <transportSender name="https" class="axis2_http_sender">
>         <parameter name="PROTOCOL" locked="false">HTTP/1.1</parameter>
>  </transportSender>
>

>  and added the parameter "SERVER_CERT" as well. I also generated the cert
>  by using the "openssl s_client ..." example.
>

>  Now I accidentally changed transportReceiver to https, and things
>  mysteriously started working.

Hi Floyd,

AFAIK this was intentionally done in a recent change. Although it was
not documented, in the default axis2.xml you will have commented out
configuration for both transmitter and receiver for https, just to
give an idea that you should uncomment both of them to work. But as
you suggest it is not enough. This should be documented before the
release of 1.3.1.

Thanks
Dimuthu