Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Svip <sv...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/17 13:10:28 UTC

Apache::ExtUtils and Slash

I am trying to install Slash (the same software that runs
Slashdot.org), which is written in Perl and uses mod_perl for its
integration with Apache.

Unfortunately, it uses a module called "Apache::ExtUtils", and after
some research, I have discovered that this is only available for
mod_perl 1.x, but not 2.x.  Which is most unfortunate as we are
running Apache2.

So, the question is basically this:  Will I be required to use Apache1
or is there a replacement module for 1.x's Apache::ExtUtils in 2.x?

Regards,
Svip

Re: Apache::ExtUtils and Slash

Posted by Perrin Harkins <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Svip<sv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install Slash (the same software that runs
> Slashdot.org), which is written in Perl and uses mod_perl for its
> integration with Apache.
>
> Unfortunately, it uses a module called "Apache::ExtUtils", and after
> some research, I have discovered that this is only available for
> mod_perl 1.x, but not 2.x.  Which is most unfortunate as we are
> running Apache2.
>
> So, the question is basically this:  Will I be required to use Apache1
> or is there a replacement module for 1.x's Apache::ExtUtils in 2.x?

Well, ExtUtils is about tying into apache 1 at a C-level, so it's not
really something that you just replace directly.  I think the real
issue here is that Slash probably doesn't support mod_perl 2/apache 2,
but I've never used it so I suggest you investigate with the Slash
community.

- Perrin