Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Alexander Schätzle <al...@yahoo.com> on 2010/05/04 14:48:08 UTC

Logging Files

Hi,

where can I find informations about how the Logging of PIG works?
Does PIG generate Log-Files like how long the execution of a query took and where can I find them?

Thx in advance.

Alex

RE: Logging Files

Posted by Richard Ding <rd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
The front end messages are logged to the Pig log. In MR mode, the backend messages are logged in the logs of the map and reduce tasks, not in the Pig log. In local mode, the backend messages are displayed on the console.

You can find how long the execution of a query took in the Pig log.

The conf/log4j.properties is not used by default, if you want to use it, you need explicitly specify the command line option: -4 conf/log4j.properties.

The default log level is INFO, to change this, you need to use the command line option: -d DEBUG.

Thanks,
-Richard