Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2011/08/10 16:08:54 UTC

[Help Wanted] Graphics and other help for new Lucene/Solr website

Hi,

We are in the process of putting up a new Lucene/Solr/PyLucene/OpenRelevance website.  You can see a preview at http://lucene.staging.apache.org/lucene/.  It is more or less a look and feel copy of Mahout and Open For Biz websites.  This new site, IMO, both looks better than the old one and will be a lot easier for us committers to maintain/update and for others to contribute to.

So, how can you help?

0.  All of the code is at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/cms/trunk.  Check it out the usual way using SVN.  If you want to build locally, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2748 and the links to the ASF CMS guide.

1. If you have any graphic design skills:
	- I'd love to have some "mantle/slide" images along the lines of http://lucene.staging.apache.org/lucene/images/mantle-lucene-solr.png.  These are used in the slideshow at the top of the Lucene, Core and Solr pages and should be interesting, inviting, etc. and should give people warm fuzzy feelings about all of our software and the great community we have.  (Think Marketing!)
	- Help us coordinate the color selection on the various pages, especially in the slides and especially on the Solr page, as I'm not sure I like the green and black background contrasted with the orange of the Solr logo.

2. In a few more days or maybe a week or so, patches to fix content errors, etc. will be welcome.  For now, we are still porting things, so I don't want to duplicate effort.

3. New, useful documentation is also, of course, always welcome.

4. Test with your favorite browser.  In particular, I don't have IE handy.  I've checked the site in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

If you come up w/  images (I won't guarantee they will be accepted, but I am appreciative of the help) or other style fixes, etc., please submit all content/patches to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2748 and please make sure to check the donation box when attaching the file.

-Grant

RE: [Help Wanted] Graphics and other help for new Lucene/Solr website

Posted by ka...@nokia.com.
The site looks great.  And thank you for including the ManifoldCF link. ;-)

Karl

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Looks nice! Font seems too light to read with comfort though.