Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Reuven Koblick <gr...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/23 17:46:57 UTC

Newbie: Tomcat Can't Find My App

If anyone can give me a pointer, it would be much appreciated. This is very
frustrating. I cannot get this app to run. No servlet in this app will run.

Tomcat6 is installed at CATALINA_BASE and the app, sp00 is installed in
CATALINA_BASE/webapps. A war file, sp00.war was placed into that directory
and deployed.

When trying to execute the first servlet */sp00/servlet/LandingPageFront,
*an Http 404 page comes back with:

HTTP Status 404 - /sp00/servlet/LandingPageFront
------------------------------

*type* Status report

*message* */sp00/servlet/LandingPageFront*

*description* *The requested resource (/sp00/servlet/LandingPageFront) is
not available.*
------------------------------
Apache Tomcat/6.0.24
The log file catalina.out doesn't show much:
Mar 23, 2010 12:24:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.24
Mar 23, 2010 12:24:57 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig
deployDescriptor
INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor sp00.xml

The descriptor file sp00.xml in
CATALINA_BASE/apache-tomcat-6.0.24/conf/Catalina/localhost is:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path="/application">
prefix="6.0_WebApp." suffix=".log" timestamp="true"/>
</Context>

RE: Newbie: Tomcat Can't Find My App

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Paolo Santarsiero [mailto:paolo.santarsiero@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Newbie: Tomcat Can't Find My App
>
> Change <Context path="/application"> in <Context path="/sp00">

That will have no effect; the path attribute is not allowed here.

 - Chuck

Re: Newbie: Tomcat Can't Find My App

Posted by Paolo Santarsiero <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reuven Koblick <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Charles,

Your's was the advice that worked. I've been trying to get an app written by
others to work. Their web.xml file was hopelessly out of date. BTW, I tried
enabling the invoker and even that wouldn't run because it was
"priviledged".

Reuven Koblick

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
What is the full url you're using to connetc?  Try
/sp00/LandingPageFront  (dropping the "servlet").

Posted by Maurice Mengel <ma...@gmail.com>.
I am new to tomcat, too, so I am will not give the best advice.

Anyways, I will give it a try:
1) I have another log file localhost.log in the same directory.

2) WEB-INF/web.xml has defines the page which tomcat/the servlet listens, too.
 You can check there if it really is /sp00/servlet/LandingPageFront
  (Alternatively, I use the manager that comes with tomcat and it
lists all installed servlets.)

best
maurice