Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Bailey, David" <Da...@pearson.com> on 2008/12/04 21:55:58 UTC

Velocity View Servlet - how to serve page w/o HTTP header

I have developed a servlet which is really nothing more than the
Velocity View Servlet using a toolbox of tools I wrote and plugged in
using the toolbox.xml file.  This has served me quite well, until now.

My servlet is basically an order entry system, and one component of the
system is a report generator.  In my initial implementation, the reports
are generated in HTML.  However, I have received a new feature request
that the reports be generated for the user in CSV format as well.

I have attempted to satisfy this enhancement request by setting the
<servlet-mapping> element in web.xml to send both *.vm and *.xls files
through Velocity, and then wrote a new VTL template with a .xls
extension.  But it seems that the Velocity View Servlet always wants to
include HTTP headers in the files it parses and serves, and this is
cumbersome from an end-user perspective  (the existence of HTTP headers
makes it cumbersome for the user to save the content as a true CSV
file).

I've browsed the archives and discovered that I can set the content-type
of a served file using velocity.properties, but I don't see any way to
suppress the HTTP header altogether.  Is my only choice here to subclass
VelocityViewServlet so I can strip out the HTTP headers (and footer)
before the page is served, or is there some other solution, possibly via
velocity.properties?

Thanks,
--dave