Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vera O Newman <my...@adelphia.net> on 2004/04/01 00:56:33 UTC

Newbie: Unable to Create Layout and Import Initial Data (Subversion & TortoiseSVN)

Hello,

I have just installed Subversion and TortoiseSVN recently for my team to work through a WebDav environment (Apache 2.x/ Windows XP)

After the install install.. I am able to go to the website and log into the Subversion area (of course nothing is there yet)..

Understanding I need a basic layout I went about  going through the command prompt area to figure out how to create they layout. (Subversion)

I have tried a few things with numerous Errors:

1. svn import trunk http://(website):8080/svn/repos --message 'initial repository layout'
Error: svn: Too many arguments to import command

2. snv mkdir trunk http://(website):8080/svn/repos -- -m initial repository layout'
Error svn:'.' is not a working copy

3. snv mkdir trunk http://(website):8080/svn/repos -- -m initial repository layout'
Error  svn: can't create directory "trunk' cannot  create a file when that file already exists.

(though when I check the  folder  E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/htdocs/SVN/repos it isn't there)

 Fooling around with Subversion through the command area

1.  svn co http://(website):8080/svn/repos etc
Authentication realm: http://(website):8080 Subversion repositories
Password for 'xxx": xxxx
Authentication realm: http://(website):8080 Subversion repositories
User name: xxx
Password for xxx : xxxx
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repos'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos' : 301 Moved Permanently http://(website):8080

Also in TortiseSVN when trying to browse the Reposirty trying to create a folder / Show logs/ Adding fileetc..I get the following Error

1. OPTIONS request failed on '/"
the OPTIONS request returned invalid XML in response: XML parse error error at line 1 :no element found (/)

2. PROPFIND request failed on '/"
PROPFIND of '/': 405 Method Not Allowed ( http://(website:8080)

3.  PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repos'
PROPFIND of '/svn/repos' : 301 Moved Permanently http://(website):8080

I know it could not be a misconfig error in the http.config file in Apache ( or maybe ?)

DocumentRoot "E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/htdocs"

<Directory "E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/htdocs">

<Location /svn>
DAV svn
SVNParentPath E:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\htdocs\SVN
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Subversion repositories"
AuthUserFile passwd
#AuthzSVNAccessFile svnaccessfile
Require valid-user
</Location>

If anyone could help me it would be much appericated..

Thank you ..

Ms.Vera O Newman

Re: Newbie: Unable to Create Layout and Import Initial Data (Subversion & TortoiseSVN)

Posted by Vera O Newman <my...@adelphia.net>.
Subject: Re: Newbie: Unable to Create Layout and Import Initial Data
(Subversion & TortoiseSVN)

>" *1.* svn import trunk http://(website):8080/svn/repos --message 'initial
> > repository layout'
> > Error: svn: Too many arguments to import command "
>Are you *sure* that's the commandline you typed?  It looks exactly
>correct.

(Vera Response:   yes it is the commadline I typed)

> Two questions:
>    * did you ever actually create a repository?
>      i.e. 'svnadmin create E:\apachegroup\apache2\htdocs\SVN\repos'  ?

( Vera Response: I do believe I did that)

>    * was 'trunk' a real directory right in front of you?

(Vera Response:  No I have been trying to create a Layout .......making the
Directories in the Repository.)

Thank you for helping me :)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 12:29, Vera Odessa Newman wrote:

> Should  the path of  SVN/repos  directory be outside the Apache htdocs, in
> order to be accessed..or am i  missing something here in coinfiguration of
> the SVNParentPath??

Yes.  Separate the two universes completely.  No overlaps in the
httpd.conf file, or on disk.

Universe #1:

DocumentRoot "E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/htdocs"

<Directory "E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/htdocs">
  ...whatever options you want regarding "real" files
</Directory>

Universe #2:

<Location /svn>
DAV svn
SVNParentPath E:\SVN-Repositories\

Posted by Vera Odessa Newman <my...@adelphia.net>.
As I explained before..... I already did  that and it still hasn't answered
the question for me:

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Vera Odessa Newman <my...@adelphia.net>.
> > *1.* svn import trunk http://(website):8080/svn/repos --message 'initial
> > repository layout'
> > Error: svn: Too many arguments to import command

> Try with --message "Initial repository layout".

> Most Windows shell don't grok single quotes. svn is thinking you're
> passing "'initial" to --message and doesn't know what to do with
> "repository layout'".
>                                                                 Juanma

I have done what you suggested and I still having a problem, though I know I
am almost there..i can taste it..

I go into my repos directory  through the command prompt ( Windows XP)

svn import trunk http://(website):8080/svn/repos  --message "Initial
repository layout"
Authentication realm: http://(website):8080 Subversion repositories
Password for 'xxx": xxxx
Authentication realm: http://(website):8080 Subversion repositories
User name: xxx
Password for xxx : xxxx
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repos'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos' : 301 Moved Permanently http://(website):8080

*Sigh*

The only thing I have scene on 301 error  is that there is an access call
problem..  ( however the last time I had the repos outside the Apache htdocs
folder ..it was only able to be accessed form the web 50% of the time.)

DocumentRoot "E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/htdocs"

<Directory "E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/htdocs">

<Location /svn>
DAV svn
SVNParentPath E:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\htdocs\SVN
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Subversion repositories"
AuthUserFile passwd
#AuthzSVNAccessFile svnaccessfile
Require valid-user
</Location>

Should  the path of  SVN/repos  directory be outside the Apache htdocs, in
order to be accessed..or am i  missing something here in coinfiguration of
the SVNParentPath??

Thank you for your help .. I already gained 10 grey hairs in the past day
working on this..

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <jm...@wke.es>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.