Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by David Remy <dr...@bea.com> on 2004/02/04 23:10:57 UTC

1.01 XMLBeans distribution

A few months ago we got close to putting a distribution out for xmlbeans 1.0.0 but lost momentum and didn't get it completed.  It looks like we are in a good position to get the latest xmlbeans codeline into an 'incubating' distribution and get it published on the website.   The codeline is stable and contains some fixes and enhancements after it was moved over to Apache so I believe this would appropriately be named the xmlbeans 1.0.1 release.

I think Cliff has done most of the work with the incubator project so that we can go forward with a vote on this.  It has been one of the most consistent requests from the community that we can a distribution out so this is very high priority from my perspective.

Cliff you seem to be very good at these types of things.  Would you be willing to orchestrate a vote on an xmlbeans 1.0.1 release?

rem

Re: 1.01 XMLBeans distribution

Posted by Patrick Calahan <pc...@bea.com>.
At 02:48 PM 2/4/2004 -0800, David Jencks wrote:

>2. fix the "major conceptual error" bug that the
>Factory.parse(InputStream) methods close the input stream before
>returning.  If you think about it for a minute, whatever opens the stream
>should close it in a finally block.  Closing the stream before returning
>may seem like a convenience when used with say a file stream, but causes
>severe difficulties when used with a JarInputStream, which ends at the end
>of an entry, not the stream.  I noticed some posts early on wondering what
>would happen if a change was suggested to Apache xmlbeans that would be
>inconsistent with the WebLogic version. This seems to me to be an ideal
>test case.

Hi David.  I fully agree with you here and have experienced my own
frustrations with this, even while working on v2.  As it turns out, though,
xbeans is actually not the culprit; rather, the stream is being closed by
xerces.

However, that doesn't really make it any less painful.  I work around it by
simply wrapping my streams in something like this:

   private static class StubbornInputStream extends FilterInputStream {

     StubbornInputStream(InputStream in) { super(in); }

     public void close() {}

     public void reallyClose() throws IOException {
       super.close();
     }
   }

and calling reallyClose() when I'm really done.  We could consider
embedding this mechanism inside the unmarshalling code in xbeans.  In that
case, it would just intercept any calls to close until we call some private
makeCloseableNow() method at the end of unmarshalling.

We should definitely do this for v2.  For v1, my only worry is that we may
break users out there who are rely on the current behavior, incorrect as it
may be.

-p

Posted by Patrick Calahan <pc...@bea.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 4 Feb 2004, at 22:48, David Jencks wrote:

<snip>

> I also strongly encourage you to get the release in the maven
> repository on ibiblio.

i believe that the ASF now host a repository for apache releases which
is rsync'd to ibiblio. (so putting the release in the apache repo would
probably be the right way to achieve this goal.)

- robert

Re: 1.01 XMLBeans distribution

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 4 Feb 2004, at 22:48, David Jencks wrote:

<snip>

> I have written a maven plugin for using the SchemaCompiler.  This or
> some such plugin IMO should be hosted at maven or in xmlbeans.  I'm
> not quite sure what the maven policy is on where plugins should be
> hosted.  I'll try to find out.

IMHO probably the best place for such a plug-in would be with maven
(but you're probably right that it'd be best to ask over there about
the current policy).

- robert

Re: 1.01 XMLBeans distribution

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
As a new and enthusiastic user I would really appreciate it if you
would first:

1. make xmlbeans usable offline by backporting the entity resolver code
from v2.

2. fix the "major conceptual error" bug that the
Factory.parse(InputStream) methods close the input stream before
returning.  If you think about it for a minute, whatever opens the
stream should close it in a finally block.  Closing the stream before
returning may seem like a convenience when used with say a file stream,
but causes severe difficulties when used with a JarInputStream, which
ends at the end of an entry, not the stream.  I noticed some posts
early on wondering what would happen if a change was suggested to
Apache xmlbeans that would be inconsistent with the WebLogic version.
This seems to me to be an ideal test case.

3. fix the package name and schema uri issues I mentioned several days
ago.  I'd be happy to provide a patch if that would help, but I suspect
it would be easier for someone with cvs access and IDEA to do by
themselves.

I have written a maven plugin for using the SchemaCompiler.  This or
some such plugin IMO should be hosted at maven or in xmlbeans.  I'm not
quite sure what the maven policy is on where plugins should be hosted.
I'll try to find out.

I also strongly encourage you to get the release in the maven
repository on ibiblio.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.