Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2010/03/30 15:28:47 UTC

RE: Fwd: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box running with RHEL 5

> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Fwd: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box
> running with RHEL 5
>
> (And you should anyway first install a reasonable Java JVM 1.6 before
> Tomcat; usually people here do not consider the OpenJDK JVM as
> reasonable for Tomcat).

Actually, OpenJDK (which comes from what used be known as Sun) is probably ok; it's the GNU JVM that is pretty awful.

 - Chuck

RE: Fwd: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box running with RHEL 5

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Harry Metske [mailto:harry.metske@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Fwd: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box
> running with RHEL 5
>
> Chuck, a bit off-topic, but since we might have to choose the next few
> months which JVM to use on Intel/Linux, I am interested in why you
> think the OpenJDK is "pretty awful" ?

Read the message again; I said OpenJDK is probably ok, and that the GNU JVM is pretty awful.  Search the archives for the numerous reports of any serious application (such as Tomcat) failing miserably on the GNU JVM, but working fine on a real JVM.

OpenJDK is (or at least was) pretty much the same as the Sun HotSpot JVM, but with some packages replaced or omitted due to licensing issues.

 - Chuck

Re: Fwd: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box running with RHEL 5

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
Chuck, a bit off-topic, but since we might have to choose the next few
months which JVM to use on Intel/Linux, I am interested in why you think the
OpenJDK is "pretty awful" ?

regards,
Harry