Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com> on 2005/05/16 05:34:08 UTC

Help mp3 attachment

I run a very simple Postfix - Procmail - SpamAssassin - CLamAV setup that
has been working great, but tonight I see something I don't understand.
Look at the 2 examples below please.  Both messages got virus-scanned.
However, the message that includes an mp3 audio attachment, appears that it
didn't get spam-scanned at all, whereas a totally plain message does.  Can
anyone explain this?  What attachment property would cause the message not
to pass to spamd at all?  Thanks - John

Plain message with 500K mp3 attachment:

Plain message without attachment:

Re: Help mp3 attachment

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.
> On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 22:34 -0500, John Fleming wrote:
>> I run a very simple Postfix - Procmail - SpamAssassin - CLamAV setup that
>> has been working great, but tonight I see something I don't understand.
>
> I suspect that your procmail recipe doesn't scan files over a certain
> size.  What does your .procmailrc file look like?

Thanks THomas and Wolfgang - That's probably part of it.  The procmail is
simple:

:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamc
#
:0:
/dev/null

But I didn't mention 2 other important points:

1.  The mail with the large attachment DOES NOT GET DELIVERED - So it must
be getting tagged as spam and then going to /dev/null, I suppose.  I can
change /dev/null to my spam trap that I use for other users and see if it
goes there.

2.  But the REAL problem is more obtuse and scary - After the email with the
large attachment goes through, then spamd no longer scans ANY mail until I
restart it!

Thanks any further thoughts.  - John

Re: Help mp3 attachment

Posted by Thomas Cameron <th...@camerontech.com>.
On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 22:34 -0500, John Fleming wrote:
> I run a very simple Postfix - Procmail - SpamAssassin - CLamAV setup that
> has been working great, but tonight I see something I don't understand.

I suspect that your procmail recipe doesn't scan files over a certain
size.  What does your .procmailrc file look like?

Thomas