Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Jason Bailey <Ja...@sas.com> on 2014/07/19 19:54:54 UTC

Sling Standalone Application won't start

Got an odd situation here. I'm unable to start the Sling Standalone Application (org.apache.sling.launchpad-6-standalone.jar) it throws the following

19.07.2014 08:25:18.502 *ERROR* [main] Failed to Start OSGi framework
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Uncaught Instantiation Issue: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
	at org.apache.sling.launchpad.base.impl.Sling.<init>(Sling.java:245)
	at org.apache.sling.launchpad.base.app.MainDelegate$1.<init>(MainDelegate.java:159)
	at org.apache.sling.launchpad.base.app.MainDelegate.start(MainDelegate.java:159)
	at org.apache.sling.launchpad.app.Main.startSling(Main.java:244)
	at org.apache.sling.launchpad.app.Main.<init>(Main.java:107)
	at org.apache.sling.launchpad.app.Main.main(Main.java:56)
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1

running
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (rhel-2.4.7.2.el7_0-x86_64 u55-b13)

-Jason

Re: Sling Standalone Application won't start

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Jason Bailey <Ja...@sas.com> wrote:
> ...I think it's cool that  you're angling towards a consistent rolling release,
> with maven integration. But if that's the aim why even bother making the
> Launchpad available?...

I agree that that the Sling 6 launchpad release is far too old to be
useful. For now I have added a warning to
http://sling.apache.org/downloads.cgiI'll and I see that Carsten just
restarted the discussion about releasing version 7. Let's fix this.

-Bertrand

RE: Sling Standalone Application won't start

Posted by Jason Bailey <Ja...@sas.com>.
To be clear, I'm a huge fan of Sling and concepts and engineering behind it. That's one of the reasons I'm working on broadening our adoption of the platform in my organization. One of the challenges of this is to be able to get someone up and running to the point where they can look around and see what's available.

As you mentioned, an initial quick start for developing and trying out.

Yet if they go to the website and download the live jar to do just that, it will fail. Because it requires a version of Java that's two releases old, and unsupported. And yes, I don't know a single person in my organization, running Java 6.

I think it's cool that  you're angling towards a consistent rolling release, with maven integration. But if that's the aim why even bother making the Launchpad available? As it is now, it's broken and/or filled with bundles that are far older than what is currently available, is that really the first impression that you want people to have of the framework?

-Jason

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Bailey <Ja...@sas.com>.
Well that's a kick in the teeth to my plans to get it adopted. Does anyone on the list know when the next stable release is?
> Got an odd situation here. I'm unable to start the Sling Standalone
Application (org.apache.sling.launchpad-6-standalone.jar) it throws the
following

> 19.07.2014 08:25:18.502 *ERROR* [main] Failed to Start OSGi framework
> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Uncaught Instantiation Issue:

I think that you're running the launchpad against a Java version that is
too new. You should either use an older version of Java or build a
launchpad from trunk. The trunk versions support all released versions of
Java.

Robert and

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,