Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Frank <su...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/25 00:23:59 UTC

Configure my application

Hi,

How do I get parameters from a XML file ? Ex. for configure my JDBC driver.

Regards

Re: Configure my application

Posted by Lindsay Steele <ls...@iinet.net.au>.
Frank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I get parameters from a XML file ? Ex. for configure my JDBC driver.
>
> Regards

Using something like Cayenne for easy to use data access ...
(http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/)

or

You could use environmental entries in the web.xml:

    <env-entry>
       <env-entry-name>adminUsername</env-entry-name>
       <env-entry-value>admin</env-entry-value>
       <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
    </env-entry>

    <env-entry>
        <env-entry-name>adminPassword</env-entry-name>
        <env-entry-value>xxxxxxxxx</env-entry-value>
        <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
    </env-entry>

Then get them in your code by using .....

        String adminUsername = "";
        String adminPassword = "";

        javax.naming.Context ctx = null;

        try {
            ctx = new javax.naming.InitialContext();
            if (ctx == null) {
                System.out.println("Context is null in web.xml");
            }
        } catch (Exception e) {
            System.out.println(e);
        }

        try {

            adminUsername = (String)
ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/adminUsername");
            adminPassword = (String)
ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/adminPassword");

        } catch (Exception e) {
            System.out.println(e);
        }

or you could research how to read values from an xml file,  something
which is not really related to Tapestry.