Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Edilmar L. Alves" <ed...@fes.br> on 2002/06/20 00:18:20 UTC

Problems with MANY "Tomcat"s opened - OUT OF MEMORY!!!

Hi,

I have a servlet made with JB6 Ent + Sun JDK 1.4 + Apache 1.3.19 +
Tomcat 3.2.3 into Linux Kernel 2.2.19 - Conectiva 7.0 (Red Hat like).
I integrated Apache + Tomcat using mod_jk.so for 3.2.3.

The servlet works fine until some number of users, I think more than 40
simultaneos.

When I starts the machine, Apache starts 10 httpd and Tomcat starts 20
Java lines like this:
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin/../bin/java -Dtomcat.home=...

My doubts are:

1) Why does Tomcat start this number of processes?
    Where do I config this kind of feature?
    It's a default feature?
2) If each servlet starts one thread, why are so many processes started?
3) When more and more users call the servlet, more and more processes Java
    start, UNTIL THE DEATH of the machine, when the "Out of memory"
    exception is saved into logs/tomcat.log. After this, I don't get to
    shutdown and start Tomcat/Apache again. I need to shutdown the MACHINE.
    What can I do to solve this? Or to limit the number of simultaneos users
    and to stop the Java process starting?