Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> on 2008/09/29 20:20:20 UTC

Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 released

Hi,

I am pleased to announce the release of Xerces-C++ 3.0.0. This
version is interface-incompatible with Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 and
contains a large number of improvements, bug fixes, and clean-
ups, including:

  * Autotools-based build system for the UNIX/Linux/Mac OS X platforms
  * Project files for VC++ 9
  * Support for the ICU transcoder in VC++ 7.1, 8, and 9 project files
  * libcurl-based net accessor
  * Support for XInclude in DOM
  * Support for both XPath 1 and XPath 2 models in the DOM XPath interface
  * Support for the XML Schema subset of XPath 1 in DOM
  * Conformance to the final DOM Level 3 interface specification
  * Ability to provide custom DOM memory manager as well as tune the global
    DOM heap parameters
  * All public and widely used interfaces as well as a large portion of the
    implementation were converted to be 64-bit safe.
  * Various XML Schema fixes including the fix for the large maxOccurs and
    minOccurs bug as well as for the changed ##other interpretation
  * Reviewed and cleaned up diagnostics messages
  * Optimizations for SAX/SAX2 and DOM parsing as well as XML Schema
    validation

For the compete list of changes see:

http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/releases.html

For information on migrating from 2.8.0 to 3.0.0 see:

http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/migrate-3.html

This release is available in source code and as pre-compiled
libraries/examples for the following platforms and architectures:

32 bit:

   Windows - MSVC 7.1
   Windows - MSVC 8.0
   Windows - MSVC 9.0
   GNU/Linux - g++ 3.4.x
   AIX 5.3 - xlC 7
   Solaris 10 - Sun C++ 5.7, both SPARC and x86
   HP-UX 11i - aCC A.06.x, IA64
   Mac OS X - g++ 4.0, both PowerPC and x86

64 bit:

   Windows - MSVC 8.0
   Windows - MSVC 9.0
   GNU/Linux - g++ 3.4.x
   AIX 5.3 - xlC 7
   Solaris 10 - Sun C++ 5.7, both SPARC and x86-64
   HP-UX 11i - aCC A.06.x, IA64

The source code archives and pre-compiled libraries are available
from the download page:

http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/download.cgi

Note that it takes up to 24 hours for the release to propagate
to all the mirrors so use the master distribution directory if
the files are not yet available on your favorite mirror. It is
important that you verify the integrity of the files you download
using either the PGP signatures or MD5 checksums as described on
the download page.

Finally I would like to thank all who contributed source code,
submitted bug reports, and helped test the beta releases. I
would like to especially thank Alberto Massari for his help
in getting this release out.

Enjoy,
	Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools   http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog
Open source XML data binding for C++:   http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd

Re: Xerces on cygwin (was Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 released)

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
Tom Stockfisch wrote:
> I recently produced an internal database-driven website on cygwin and
> found impossible internationalization issues.  My client is based in
> Toronto so telling them that accents were just not possible I knew
> wouldn't fly.  My input starts from excel files exported in xml format.
> I couldn't get XMLString::transcode() to work on anything non-ascii in
> this environment.
Perhaps because the local code page under cygwin doesn't support those
characters.

   Switching to wcstombs() was of no help.  Everything
> worked fine in mac os x environment, but cygwin wouldn't display any
> non-ascii correctly.  I finally switched to iconv, which was very
> successful.  I treat the C++ and C char's as UTF-8.  To get the strings
> returned from xerces I use a iconv_open( "UTF-16LE", "UTF-8" ).  To send
> strings from C++ back to xerces I use a
> iconv_open("UTF-8", "UTF-16LE").  This works for both cygwin and mac os x.
If your data is encoded in UTF-8, you can always use the Xerces-C
transcoding service, and create a UTF-8 transcoder.  This will work on
all of the supported platforms.

> Since XMLString::transcode() isn't officially supported I'm not sure if
> I should report a bug to Xerces.
I'm not sure what you mean by XMLString::transcode() not being
officially supported.  It's certainly supported for what it's meant to
do, which is to transcode between UTF-16 and the platform's local code page.

If you search the archives of the list, you'll discover that
XMLString::transcode() is often mis-used, which is why you were having
problems.

Dave

Re: Xerces on cygwin (was Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 released)

Posted by Tom Stockfisch <t....@cox.net>.
I recently produced an internal database-driven website on cygwin and
found impossible internationalization issues.  My client is based in
Toronto so telling them that accents were just not possible I knew
wouldn't fly.  My input starts from excel files exported in xml format.
I couldn't get XMLString::transcode() to work on anything non-ascii
in this environment.  Switching to wcstombs() was of no help.
Everything worked fine in mac os x environment, but cygwin wouldn't
display any non-ascii correctly.  I finally switched to iconv, which
was very successful.  I treat the C++ and C char's as UTF-8.  To get
the strings returned from xerces I use a iconv_open( "UTF-16LE",
"UTF-8" ).  To send strings from C++ back to xerces I use a
iconv_open("UTF-8", "UTF-16LE").  This works for both cygwin and mac
os x.

Since XMLString::transcode() isn't officially supported I'm not sure
if I should report a bug to Xerces.

Tom

Tom Stockfisch
t.stockfisch@cox.net
http://www.tstockfisch.com
760-781-1617 land
760-497-4108 mobile

Re: Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 released

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Cris,

Re: Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 released

Posted by Cris Fuhrman <ch...@gmail.com>.
"Boris Kolpackov" <bo...@codesynthesis.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am pleased to announce the release of Xerces-C++ 3.0.0.

Where can one obtain the Cygwin binaries for Xerces-C 3.0.x?

According to http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/install-3.html#Cygwin they
should be in the Cygwin devel group, but I only find 2.8.x versions from the
Cygwin setup.exe program.

Thanks in advance,

Cris

Re: Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 released

Posted by Da...@ptb.de.
Hi Alberto,

the Unix conversation was the Problem. But i didnt get unix2dos to convert
the Projectfile so i used
todos from http://www.thefreecountry.com/tofrodos/index.shtml and then i
could work.

Thanks for the help.

David

Re: Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 released

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi David,

Re: Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 released

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi David,

David.Sander@ptb.de wrote:
> Hey, thanks for the new release.
>
> I have perhaps found a bug in the Download-Zip Package.
>
> I can't open the  projects\WIn32\BCB6 the xerces-all.bgb   but the
> Xerces-lib.bgb.
>
> The errormessage from Borland Builder says "The PROJECTS-Makro  in the
> Projectgoup is missing or not correct " when i want to open xerces-all.bgb
>
> Thanks david

Re: Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 released

Posted by Da...@ptb.de.