Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steffen Tronstad <st...@nextgentel.com> on 2009/03/04 14:13:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Help configuring Apache2 + SSL + namebased vhosts

Dear all   (I've tried google, and there seems to be so many different
solutions/problems on this subject that matching my case exactly is
nearly impossible).

My case:
I have a webserver with 1 IP-address. This webserver is currently
handling 6 virtual hosts configured like this:

ports.conf:
Listen 80

sites-enabled/default:
NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
  Bla bla bla
</VirtualHost>

sites-enabled/siteN:
<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName www.mydomain.ltd
   Bla bla bla
</VirtualHost>

This works perfekt!

-	- - - - - -

Now  I have to add SSL support for one of my domains, so I add Listen
443 to my ports.conf, changes all <VirtualHost *> to <VirtualHost *:80>
and create a new <VirtualHost *:443> for my SSL site. I also change/add
NameVirtualHost *:80 and *:443 in my 'default' file.

This doesnt work at all. What am I doing wrong?

Med vennlig hilsen / with kind regards
Steffen Tronstad

RE: [users@httpd] Help configuring Apache2 + SSL + namebased vhosts

Posted by Steffen Tronstad <st...@nextgentel.com>.
And I forgot to include a complete dump of my vhost with SSL enabled

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin loxus@mydomain.no
        DocumentRoot /home/myuser/public_html
        ServerName mydomain.no
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/mydomain.com-error.log
        LogLevel warn
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/mydomain.com-access.log combined
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
        <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
                AllowOverride None
                Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
        ServerAdmin loxus@mydomain.no
        DocumentRoot /home/myuser/public_html
        ServerName mydomain.no
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/mydomain.com-error.log
        LogLevel warn
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/mydomain.com-access.log combined
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
        <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
                AllowOverride None
                Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

        SSLEngine on
        SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/mydomain.no.crt
</VirtualHost>

EOF.

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Steffen Tronstad <st...@nextgentel.com> wrote:
> Ah, this helped alot.

Excellent, glad you were able to solve the problem.

> Now I have to find a way to disable entering my passphrase "every time"
> (once a year) the server reboots.

There's info about this in the apache docs about this:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_faq.html#removepassphrase
It comes down to three options: use a private key without a
passphrase, store your passphrase on disk, or manually enter your
passphrase when needed. Obviously the first two are security risks,
but if you have strong root protection and make them only readable by
root, then it may be an option. One way to look at it is that if there
is a passphrase, it needs to be stored somewhere and communicated to
the server. That means either in a file, or in your head.

Posted by Steffen Tronstad <st...@nextgentel.com>.
Ah, this helped alot.

[Wed Mar 04 15:49:18 2009] [error] Init: Private key not found [Wed Mar
04 15:49:18 2009] [error] SSL Library Error: 218710120
error:0D094068:asn1 encoding routines:d2i_ASN1_SET:bad tag [Wed Mar 04
15:49:18 2009] [error] SSL Library Error: 218529960 error:0D0680A8:asn1
encoding routines:ASN1_CHECK_TLEN:wrong tag [Wed Mar 04 15:49:18 2009]
[error] SSL Library Error: 218595386 error:0D07803A:asn1 encoding
routines:ASN1_ITEM_EX_D2I:nested asn1 error [Wed Mar 04 15:49:18 2009]
[error] SSL Library Error: 218734605 error:0D09A00D:asn1 encoding
routines:d2i_PrivateKey:ASN1 lib

The guide I've been following forgot to mention about the
'SSLCertificateKeyFile' setting. With this set everything worked 100%
ok. Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Now I have to find a way to disable entering my passphrase "every time"
(once a year) the server reboots.

Thank you again.

- Steffen

>From Andres Morey:

Hi Steffen,

Please turn your LogLevel to "info" to see if there are any messages in
the logs.

-Andres

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steffen Tronstad <st...@nextgentel.com>.
apache2ctl -t
Syntax OK

Here is a complete dump of my /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default file:
NameVirtualHost *:80
NameVirtualHost *:443

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

        DocumentRoot /home/myuser/public_html/
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
                AllowOverride All
        </Directory>

        Userdir public_html
        <Directory /home/*/public_html>
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCGI
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all

        </Directory>

        <Directory /var/www/>
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
                # This directive allows us to have apache2's default start page
                # in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right place
                #RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/
        </Directory>

        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
        <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
                AllowOverride None
                Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

        # alert, emerg.
        LogLevel warn

        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/mydomain.com-access.log combined
        ServerSignature On

    Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
        Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128