Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Victor CHEVALIER <vc...@avs-consulting.com> on 2002/10/01 09:26:54 UTC

reloading ApplicationResources

Hi,

Is there a mean to reload the ApplicationResouces.properties file ?

Thanks

Re: reloading ApplicationResources

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, micael wrote:

> Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 01:13:10 -0700
> From: micael <ca...@harbornet.com>
> Subject: Re: reloading ApplicationResources
>
> While you are up and about, Craig, is there any place to get a good read on
> what happens when a web server like tomcat or a web application environment
> like struts is deployed?  I want to see how the reading of the xml files
> (web, server, struts, etc.) interacts with the container during
> deployment.  I can find this all out by slowly going through various
> processes, like the manager reloading or the MBean stuff, by investigation,
> but was hoping there would be someplace that gave a good simple
> explanation.  I can imagine how it happens, but don't know.

There is no such thing as a general purpose answer to these questions.
The most important response is that the container does ***not*** treat
Struts-based applications anhy differently than any other web application.
So, I can only describe for you how Tomcat 4 approaches the issues:

* The web server, once notified that a new webapp is being proposed
  for deployment, will examine the web.xml file for that webapp, to
  determine whether there are any syntactic or semantic errors that are
  fatal to application startup.

* If the container finds no problems, one of the common convntions is
  that any "load on startp" servlets that you have defined in the web.xml
  file will be initialzed.  Any problems loading these servlets will cause
  the applixcation deployment to fail.

In ***all*** circumstances, you should examine the log files emitted by
your application server for details about the specific problem that you
are encunteringg.

Craig

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Posted by phpsurf <ph...@ifrance.com>.
indeed, it takes quite a long time on my project, because we have a few
processes launched at start-up ...
so it takes about 1 minute to reload :)

Posted by John Owen <jo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, phpsurf wrote:

> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:02:48 +0200
> From: phpsurf <ph...@ifrance.com>
> Subject: RE: reloading ApplicationResources
>
> Here is my simple opinion :
>
> 1. WHEN YOU ARE IN DEVELOPMENT, always adding new actions, and modifying
> struts-config.xml and ApplicationResources.properties, I really think (and I
> know I'm not the only one) it is pure waste of time to have to reload your
> webapp or restart your debugger !
> 2. WHEN YOU ARE IN PRODUCTION, it is obvious that it is a pure waste of
> resources to have something that is completely predictable and somewhat rare
> to be constantly monitored by some process.
>
> that's why, it seems to be a nice compromizing feature to have something
> configurable to auto reload your conf when set to do it, and not monitor
> anything when not asked to !
>
> does this analysis seems pertinent to you or not ?

Unfortunately, it is not up to Struts to decide whether this can work at
all -- it's up to the container.  While one could make reloads of
application resources work on *some* containers, I do not know of any
container that supports things like replacing existing classes on the fly
during development without reloading the app.  In my experience, this is a
much more common occurrence during the cycle of development -- and there
is nothing Struts can do to facilitate it.

Your best bet is to do your development on a container that features quick
turnaround on application reloads.

Another alternative for the specific case of application resources is to
investigate using a MessageResources implementation that loads its message
strings from a database as needed.  Such a thing has been created (on an
experimental basis so far) by a couple of developers -- check the mailing
list archives for more information.

Craig

Posted by phpsurf <ph...@ifrance.com>.
Here is my simple opinion :

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Posted by Victor CHEVALIER <vc...@avs-consulting.com>.
After some tests, I understand this :

The ApplictionResources is treated as a class.

in tomcat 4.x, you can say for a webapp (context) to reload modified files
in /WEB-INF/classes

So you can make your property file auto-reload.

I will go to bed less idiot tonight !

Thanks all

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, phpsurf wrote:

> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:20:04 +0200
> From: phpsurf <ph...@ifrance.com>
> Subject: RE: reloading ApplicationResources
>
> > This is ***not*** an issue that Stuts can solve by itself ... successful
> > resoluation depends totally on the capabilities of the application server
> > you are using for development.
> >
> partly disagree with that : it's a good thing to let the container do its
> job, and try to focus on Strus' job, but we could have in 1.1 a facility
> (the one that was in 1.0) for manualy reloading the conf, without having to
> reload the entire webapp which is usualy a lot longer !
> I'm not even talking about something fully automatic here ...

Supporting this wouldn't help you in the very common case where you are
recompiling the classes in your webapp.  It would also cause *all* Struts
based applications in production to slow down, because Struts would have
to synchronize around all reads of the data structures storing the
configuration information.

> > I use Tomcat 4.1 for all of my app development efforts.  Among other
> > things, this lets me take advantage of the dynamic application deployment
> > and reload faciliites of Tomcat, as outlined in:
> >
> >   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html
> >
> > and
> >
> >   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html
> >
> > (both of which are available from a standard Tomcat installation.)  It's a
> > total waste of time talking about what *Struts* can do to improve this
> > situation; the real key is to take advantage of the general web
> > application development and debugging support that your container
> > supports.
>
> Another point: about the reload facility of the container: before reloading
> a webapp, or simply some classes definitions, weblogic 6.1 (which is the
> container I use) swaps its memory. the problem, is that many of the static
> objects placed in memory by Struts are not serializable, which makes the
> webapp crash as soon as a reload tentative happens !
> If you have any idea to investigate about that, I'll be interested ... :)

Containers that impose the Serializable requirement on anything other than
session attributes are doing so on their own -- there's nothing in the
platform specifications that talks about that.  If this gets in your way,
I'd suggest using a different container (at least for development).

Craig

RE: reloading ApplicationResources

Posted by phpsurf <ph...@ifrance.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by phpsurf <ph...@ifrance.com>.
great !

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Victor CHEVALIER wrote:

> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:24:51 +0200
> From: Victor CHEVALIER <vc...@avs-consulting.com>
> Subject: RE: reloading ApplicationResources
>
> If I understand, there is no way to reload the ApplicationResources unless
> reloading the webapp.
>
> Isn't it "imaginable" to have a static method "reloadApplicationResources()"
> in struts ?
>
> My first goal was to allow an administrator to reload the file after having
> change it.

You are welcome to propose a patch to the existing Struts code that
accomplishes what you suggest (auto-reload on changes to the application
resources properties file).  However, there is no such thing as a portable
mechanism to detect such changes.  You are ***much*** better off relying
on the application reload facilities provided by your particular
application server.

Craig

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Victor CHEVALIER <vc...@avs-consulting.com>.
Nothing like that (Tomcat 3.3.1). Is there a parameter to fix ?

Is there a mean to reload the ApplicationResouces.properties file ?

Thanks

---

Re: reloading ApplicationResources

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
Aha. I understand now - so tomcat (& other containers?) monitor that file
and reload it for you when they detect it has been modified.
Cool!
:-)

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Anyway, just go look at the source code for ResouceBundles, etc. if you are
interested.  If you just changed the value of a key, it will work
fine.  You probably made some typo or similar mistake.  You definitely
don't need to reload anything.

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
I'm reasonably certain (I should really dig into the code more) that,
for most messages (excluding DBMessageResources, which James said would
take a DB hit for each message retrieved) you can expect they will be
cached (loaded) one time - and then accessed form that cache.  Now ...
say you had different locales you were working with - and say (for the
sake of argument) that you had a locale that hadn't been accessed yet
(though the app is deployed).  If you modified *that* property file and
then had a hit for that locale, your new changes would be loaded.  For
the others - afkaik (pretty certain on this - like 85%) - you are unable
to change them without reloading your app.

The code really is the definitive source :-)  Checkout your copy today -
FREE!  ;-)

Andrew Hill wrote:

>Eh?
>You sure about that?
>I always thought it was loaded in and stored in a hashtable thinghy
>somewhere!
>Does that mean it does a file access every time you access a property -
>surely that would be very inefficient?

--
Eddie Bush

RE: reloading ApplicationResources

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
I run my sites in nine languages and change them all the time, so I know
about this.  If your whole page is going dead, then you have some error
referencing the key.  You are using the message/key deal, I assume.

Posted by Victor CHEVALIER <vc...@avs-consulting.com>.

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.