Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <ow...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2006/09/08 01:48:12 UTC

adding encryption to hadoop

I realized today that with the new pluggable codec framework we can
trivially support encryption.

You'd define a codec that does encryption and the application would
set the password in the JobConf. The framework would then
automatically encrypt and decrypt your files automatically. Fun stuff.

-- Owen

Re: adding encryption to hadoop

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@yahoo-inc.com>.
interesting.

How would you keep the key secure?

This really encourages the notion of chaining stream processors
together...