Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com> on 2005/12/07 15:56:24 UTC

Re: FW: JCR, RMI & WebDAV - draft HOWTO *Correction*

hi peter

thanks for your work.
just let me add 2 corrections to your statements regarding
webdav, which is not totally precise.

i thought, this would have become clear, while writing
it down again (answering one of your mails and a mail
sent by gary):

http://www.mail-archive.com/jackrabbit-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg03693.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/jackrabbit-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg03658.html

so one more time.
there are 2 ways to browse the repository using WebDAV

WebDAV 1: Repository Browsing ('filebased', 'Simple')

- WebDAV compliance level 1,2
- by default nt:file is displayed as 'resource' any other node
   is displayed as 'collection' thus a human readable way to
   view the repository.
- its refered to as 'Simple' server, too. this is rather historical ;)
- the 'Normal' WebDAV view you are looking for.

this is your 8)

> http://localhost:8080/jackrabbit-server/repository/default/

Please note, that the workspace name is required to access
the root resource.

WebDAV 2: Remoting (not completed since client is missing)

Main focus is the map JSR170 api to WebDAV, but attempt to
be compliant to

- WebDAV compliance level 1,2
- DeltaV (RFC 3253)
- Ordering (RFC 3648)

this is your 9)

> http://localhost:8080/jackrabbit-server/server/

*IMPORTANT* the url sent by Peter is not correct.
you don't need the 'workspaceName' to be part of the root.
Instead the root is a 'fake' resource that has no corresponding
item in the repository. underneath all workspaces are displayed

Please make sure, you are not adding confusion to thinks i
keep explaining.... if its not clear, feel free to ask.

As promised in the mail sent in response to one of your
questions, i will enhance the readme as soon as possible.

regards
angela

Re: FW: JCR, RMI & WebDAV - draft HOWTO *Correction*

Posted by Michael Aemisegger <de...@pagnolia.ch>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Brian Moseley wrote:
>

>>is it totally inconceivable to have non-maven-generated, hand-maintained
>>docs for the contrib projects that don't get promoted?
>>

>Of course not, the issue I was trying to raise is where the
>documentation should be located.
>
>The current JCR-RMI documentation is embedded in the javadocs (the
>package javadocs contain the end user instructions) and I kind of like
>it that way, but at the moment the easiest way to access the docs is to
>open and read the source files. :-(
>
>Perhaps I should just extract the user instructions from the javadocs
>and set them up as a page on the main Jackrabbit web site.

A WIKI could be a great place to store and share information.  Wouldn't
the WIKI be the right place for the 'JCR, RMI & WebDAV - Howto' ?

--
Cheers,
Michael

--
Cheers,
Michael

Re: FW: JCR, RMI & WebDAV - draft HOWTO *Correction*

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Of course not, the issue I was trying to raise is where the
> documentation should be located.

i know, i was just being a smartass ;)

> The current JCR-RMI documentation is embedded in the javadocs (the
> package javadocs contain the end user instructions) and I kind of like
> it that way, but at the moment the easiest way to access the docs is to
> open and read the source files. :-(
>
> Perhaps I should just extract the user instructions from the javadocs
> and set them up as a page on the main Jackrabbit web site.

sounds like a good idea. i wish i'd had something like that for bdb as well.

like probably most others, i'm impatient and just want to drop things
into my app, twiddle a config file and be off and running. i don't want
to have to read source code or javadocs, but i'm happy to refer to a
one-page checklist/HOWTO.

imo the holy grail is a series of these, one for each major contrib
project/promoted subproject, in an obvious place on the web site. or
maybe the wiki, so that users can help maintain them.

Re: JCR, RMI & WebDAV - draft HOWTO *Correction*

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Dec 7, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Brian Moseley wrote:
>> is it totally inconceivable to have non-maven-generated, hand-
>> maintained
>> docs for the contrib projects that don't get promoted?
>
> Of course not, the issue I was trying to raise is where the
> documentation should be located.
>
> The current JCR-RMI documentation is embedded in the javadocs (the
> package javadocs contain the end user instructions) and I kind of like
> it that way, but at the moment the easiest way to access the docs
> is to
> open and read the source files. :-(
>
> Perhaps I should just extract the user instructions from the javadocs
> and set them up as a page on the main Jackrabbit web site.

The best way is to figure out where under jackrabbit-site/* we want
the contrib sites to be published and then simply change each
contrib project's site:deploy target to point at that location
in the same way that we do for jackrabbit.  Then I can write a
script that builds them when I build the main jackrabbit site.

....Roy

Re: FW: JCR, RMI & WebDAV - draft HOWTO *Correction*

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>.
Hi,

Brian Moseley wrote:
> is it totally inconceivable to have non-maven-generated, hand-maintained
> docs for the contrib projects that don't get promoted?

Of course not, the issue I was trying to raise is where the
documentation should be located.

The current JCR-RMI documentation is embedded in the javadocs (the
package javadocs contain the end user instructions) and I kind of like
it that way, but at the moment the easiest way to access the docs is to
open and read the source files. :-(

Perhaps I should just extract the user instructions from the javadocs
and set them up as a page on the main Jackrabbit web site.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: FW: JCR, RMI & WebDAV - draft HOWTO *Correction*

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:

> The problem of course is where to draw the lines between the projects.
> Should I place JCR-RMI specific documentation in the main Jackrabbit
> project or in the JCR-RMI contrib project?
>
> As noticed during the "great split", generating a small Maven site for
> each component project just leads to a rather confusing web site. A
> better alternative would be to place the documentation on the main
> project. Then we should also start considering whether the component
> sources should also be promoted to the main source tree. A mechanism
> like the current commons module setup could be used to generate more
> specific project deliverables.

is it totally inconceivable to have non-maven-generated, hand-maintained
docs for the contrib projects that don't get promoted?

i wonder if i'm the only person out there who dislikes the
mcmavenization of java software project web sites.

of course, i'm not volunteering to do the work for the contrib projects,
so this is really just an early morning gripe :)

Re: FW: JCR, RMI & WebDAV - draft HOWTO *Correction*

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>.
Hi,

Brian Moseley wrote:
> i think the fact that several people have asked the same questions
> indicates that documentation on the contrib projects needs to be
> available on the jackrabbit web site and obvious to the casual browser.

Agreed.

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.