Posted to dev@jakarta.apache.org by Joe Rice <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/02 21:10:41 UTC

New JMeter Skin

Hi,

I have been an avid JMeter user / fan for years.  I would like to port
JMeter from Swing to SWT (eclipse) to give it a fresh interface and also
allow eclipse plugin support.  I also have a number of suggested
improvements around managing load test runs, but first things first.  First
step would be a port to Eclipse.

I am setting up a Google Code project to accomplish this.  Before getting
too far, I wanted to get feedback & acceptance from the community on this
idea.  If there is anyone interested in helping, that would be awesome, too
:-).

thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: New JMeter Skin

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 November 2010 20:10, Joe Rice <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been an avid JMeter user / fan for years.  I would like to port
> JMeter from Swing to SWT (eclipse) to give it a fresh interface and also
> allow eclipse plugin support.  I also have a number of suggested
> improvements around managing load test runs, but first things first.  First
> step would be a port to Eclipse.
>
> I am setting up a Google Code project to accomplish this.  Before getting
> too far, I wanted to get feedback & acceptance from the community on this
> idea.  If there is anyone interested in helping, that would be awesome, too
> :-).
>
> thoughts?

JMeter is intended to be a pure Java application so that it runs on
any compliant JVM.
However SWT is not pure Java and is not supported on as many platforms
as Swing, so would not be acceptable for the JMeter project.

Likewise, JMeter is not currently tied to any IDE.
An optional Eclipse add-on would of course be OK.

Re: New JMeter Skin

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I on my side have a question regarding flex protocol support.
Are there plans to support its decoding  on proxy side and/or other
objects to ease writing load tests using it.

In my opinion swt port would be a rather big effort regarding what it
brings in terms of feature.

Regards
Philippe

On Tuesday, November 2, 2010, Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> mike stover and I toyed with this idea a few years back, but didn't have time.
>
> I always felt it would be nice to have, but I haven't had time to
> contribute to jmeter the last few years.
>

> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Joe Rice <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been an avid JMeter user / fan for years.  I would like to port
>> JMeter from Swing to SWT (eclipse) to give it a fresh interface and also
>> allow eclipse plugin support.  I also have a number of suggested
>> improvements around managing load test runs, but first things first.  First
>> step would be a port to Eclipse.
>>
>> I am setting up a Google Code project to accomplish this.  Before getting
>> too far, I wanted to get feedback & acceptance from the community on this
>> idea.  If there is anyone interested in helping, that would be awesome, too
>> :-).
>>
>> thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joe