Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Joel Cordonnier <jc...@yahoo.fr> on 2001/09/20 11:32:19 UTC

Slide / WeDav / Portal frameworks

Hi !

I'm a newbie with jakarta Slide, so I need help.

At the moment, I'm working on WepSphere portal server,
(that's quite the same as the JetSpeed framework, with
some bad proprietary deployment descriptor...bad :-( )

I have the following problem:

Suppose that you have a user, and that the user is log
in in a portal (JetSpeed, WwbSphere or other..).

For a registrated user, one functionality is that he
can upload images from his holidays. This imagines car
then be viewed by the other registrated user.

(it's for a 'Reise portal' ie. portal where you can
booking flight, car,...hotels rooms...)

Is the WebDav protocol, well adapted for this kind of
things ? i.e authoring, plublishing, versioning,...

Thanks for the help.

Joel

Re: Slide / WeDav / Portal frameworks

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
Hi Joel

Using WebDav to upload images is a good idea and slide can help you with
that.
It depends on the kind of users you have, if they are power users they
will like the ability to map a web drive and copy their images to the
site.
Novice users are better of with a web application to upload their
images.

There will be some integration work (creating folders for each user when
he registers) and creating pages for other users to view but you have to
do that anyway.

Dirk