Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Henry Liu <hl...@attinteractive.com> on 2011/04/07 19:28:15 UTC

job counters in customized hive map/reduce script.

I'd like to report some counters in my customized map and reduce ruby scripts for hive, just like hadoop streaming does by writing to stderr.

Such as.

          #increment hadoop counters
   $stderr.puts("reporter:counter:Impression,Total,1")
   if first_click == 0 && click_details.empty?
       $stderr.puts("reporter:counter:Impression,NoClick,1")
   end

   $stderr.puts ("reporter:status: status rid #{rid}")
   $stderr.puts ("test debug message: rid #{rid}")

These are all logged as regular messages, no counters/status recognized at all.

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: job counters in customized hive map/reduce script.

Posted by Carl Steinbach <ca...@cloudera.com>.
Right now Hive's TRANSFORM mechanism does not allow you set counters.
There's a ticket open for adding this feature:

Thanks.

Carl

Posted by Avram Aelony <Av...@eharmony.com>.