Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Michael Smith <mi...@smith-li.com> on 2021/05/31 16:51:56 UTC

pre-commit.ci

I noticed that the proposed rust PR (
https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/1234) has a .pre-commit-config.yaml
file. pre-commit.ci is a service that will automatically apply your
pre-commit hooks across your entire repo, and it's free for open source
projects.

Is this something we'd be interested in turning on for all of apache/avro?
(We might need infra-* help to fully enable it.)

I made a PR in my fork that shows what it would do if we turned it on.
- https://github.com/kojiromike/avro/pull/86

It's pretty configurable, so it certainly doesn't have to do everything I
have it doing in my example. This email is more about "if we're going to
have a .pre-commit-config.yaml, do we want to auto-apply it across all the
implementations?" than specifically what checks we should have.

Re: pre-commit.ci

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 5:07 PM Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com> wrote:

> Hello Michael -- an extremely late follow-up!
>
> I have no objection to any automation and checks we might apply.  I
> seem to remember issues around accepting contributions from bots.  Is
> that still a thing?  infra might be able to advise us.

pre-commit.ci asks for "*Read* and *write* access to code, commit statuses,
pull requests, and workflows"
I am pretty sure Infra team won't allow it because of the write access
requirement.

Re: pre-commit.ci

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.