Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Craig Longman <cl...@iconect.com> on 2014/01/08 20:27:45 UTC

Solr not creating core.properties file

We're exploring using Solr as a search/faceting engine, and things went
quite well during the research phase.  We've expanded it a bit, but have
run into something of a problem on the two latest machines we've
installed Solr on: Solr is just quietly refusing to write out the
core.properties file at all.  I'm at a complete loss as to what's going
on.  If I look in CorePropertiesLocator.java, in method
writePropertiesFile(), it appears that it would log something if there
was an IO error saving the properties file, but I get nothing in the
logs indicating such.  There is also nothing in the logs that indicates
there was anything especially wrong at all.  The core is created, the
solrconfig.xml file is found and read, the index directories are created
(a different directory to the config) and the core is loaded and can be
used just fine.  It just seems to quietly skip the core.properties
writing.  Which kind of messes up the whole auto-discovery thing.

Any ideas?  Under what circumstances would that file not be written out?
It looks like only IOExceptions can be thrown, so I have to assume that
the writePropertiesFile() method isn't even being called, right?

We're running Solr 4.6.0, installed via the BitNami install client.

Any other information that could be helpful in figuring this one out?

Thanks,

Craig Longman

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Re: Solr not creating core.properties file

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
bq: So, I'm betting the machines not writing the core properties file are
using
the old style solr.xml.

That would be my guess too. If you have a <cores> tag in your solr.xml,
then the code thinks it's old-style. If your created cores get an entry in
the solr.xml, that's further proof. The two cases are orthogonal, if you're
using old-style solr.xml, then core.properties is irrelevant and vice-versa.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Craig Longman <cl...@iconect.com>.
Thanks so much.  At first, I was looking at the solr.xml files in the
directory specified as the jetty.home, not the solr.solr.home and they
appeared identical.  After reviewing the logs though, I saw an entry in
the QA machine that indicated the solr.xml file was not found in the
solr.solr.home directory, and that it was reverting to "default config"
or something very similar.  After placing even just the default solr.xml
file in the right place, everything is writing out as desired.

I had thought the core.properties method was the default now?  Any way,
as it stands, the lack of a solr.xml file was the worst of both worlds;
it didn't use the core.properties method, nor did it create and maintain
a solr.xml with a <cores> element in it.  Not sure if this is worth
handling or not, but perhaps having it default to the newer style would
be better?

Thanks again for the pointer.

Craig Longman

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.