Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/21 09:23:36 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4

(As per Nialls request, I have created a new RC)

Tag: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/net/tags/NET_1_5_0_RC4/

Binaries/sources etc: http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-1.5.0-RC4/

Fixes:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=12310487&fixfor=12312041

+1
+0
-0
-1

--Rory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Rahul Akolkar wrote:

[snip]

> More on the 2.4.1 src assembly version here:
>
>   http://markmail.org/message/wqqs67eyi6hq3mcq
>
> -Rahul

Time to upgrade Maven then :))

BTW: Which is the minimal JDK version for net-1.5.0 ?

Additionally:

build.xml sets title of javadoc to "Apache Commons Net 1.3.0-dev API"

There's still a M1 build file - is it really supported?

- Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: [all] files encoding (was Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4)

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [all] files encoding (was Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4)

Posted by Cyril Briquet <cy...@canopeer.org>.

> >> Could we change the default for *all* types of text files including java
> >> source files to UTF-8 ?

+1

Also in [math] it would be interesting to use some symbols and some
> greek characters in javadoc and have them both readable when editing the
> file and converted automatically into html whene generating javadoc. For
> now, we use the html 4.0 entities for that and it is barely readable. As
> an example, compare the following source and generated javadoc.

+1

Apparently, the generated Javadoc is encoded by default with yet another
legacy charset:

<!-- Generated by javadoc (build 1.6.0_13) on Sun Aug 02 15:34:31 EDT 2009 -->
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

Useful flags to enable the use of UTF-8 math/greek sympbols in the [math]
Javadoc are described here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javadoc.html#charset

Cyril Briquet

Re: [all] files encoding (was Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4)

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Emmanuel Bourg a écrit :
> Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>
>> Could we change the default for *all* types of text files including java
>> source files to UTF-8 ?
>
> +1, but does it really matter in Commons where the source files are in
> english anyway?

This one is not in english and the unicode escapes are used in the
literal strings:
http://commons.apache.org/math/xref/org/apache/commons/math/MessagesResources_fr.html

Also in [math] it would be interesting to use some symbols and some
greek characters in javadoc and have them both readable when editing the
file and converted automatically into html whene generating javadoc. For
now, we use the html 4.0 entities for that and it is barely readable. As
an example, compare the following source and generated javadoc.

http://commons.apache.org/math/xref/org/apache/commons/math/optimization/fitting/HarmonicCoefficientsGuesser.html
http://commons.apache.org/math/api-2.0/org/apache/commons/math/optimization/fitting/HarmonicCoefficientsGuesser.html

Luc

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
James Carman a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 8:35 PM, sebb<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The POM needs to specify the encoding.
>
> Perhaps we need to put this in the parent?  Can we just use UTF-8 or something?

Allow me to jump here and ask a more general question.
The default encoding in the parent pom is iso-8601 (aka iso-latin 1) for
 java files and I don't think it is set to anything for other files types.
This encoding is almost obsolete now that UTF-8 is the mainstream for
many different OS types and is the default for Java compilers if not
specified.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:52 PM, sebb<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it can go in the parent, but AFAIK the component pom will still
> need to be changed to point to the new parent.

Right.  We'd have to make sure everyone is using the new parent (we
always have to do that when we upgrade)

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21/07/2009, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (As per Nialls request, I have created a new RC)
>
>  Tag:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/net/tags/NET_1_5_0_RC4/

NOTICE.txt has:
Copyright 2001-2008

This needs to be updated to -2009.
The first year disagrees with inceptionYear in pom.xml - one of these is wrong.

"mvn test" shows some warnings:
[WARNING] Using platform encoding (Cp1252 actually) to copy filtered
resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!

The POM needs to specify the encoding.

>  Binaries/sources etc:
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-1.5.0-RC4/

Spurious file: *.bz2.md5

commons-net-1.5.0.pom.asc exists but there is no .pom or .pom.md5

Bad sigs:
commons-net-1.5.0-bin.tar.gz.asc
commons-net-1.5.0-bin.zip.asc
etc.