Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by jo...@aol.com on 2012/11/12 23:33:46 UTC

Is leading wildcard search turned on by default in Solr 3.6.1?

Hi,

I'm migrating from Solr 1.2 to 3.6.1.  I used the same analyzer as I was, and re-indexed my data.  I did not add
solr.ReversedWildcardFilterFactory to my index analyzer, but yet leading wild cards are working!!  Does this mean it's turned on by default?  If so, how do I turn it off, and what are the implication of leaving ON?  Won't my searches be slower and consume more memory?

Thanks,

--MJ

Re: Is leading wildcard search turned on by default in Solr 3.6.1?

Posted by François Schiettecatte <fs...@gmail.com>.
I suspect it is just part of the wildcard handling, maybe someone can chime in here, you may need to catch this before it gets to SOLR.

François

Posted by jo...@aol.com.

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
Just a quick comment from our experience: since we have quite a lot of data
indexed in our Solr, we take some extra measures to ensure, no bogus
wild-card queries are accepted by the system (for instance *, **, *** etc).
And that is done in the QueryParser. Wanted to mention this approach as one
way of handling simple query security checks.

-- Dmitry

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>wrote:

> Be sure to realize that even with reverse wildcard support, the user can
> add a trailing wildcard as well (double-ended wildcard) and then you are
> back in the same boat.
>
> The overall idea is that: 1) Hardware is much faster than just 3 or 4
> years ago, and 2) even though document counts are getting much larger, the
> number of unique terms (which is all that matters for wildcard performance)
> does not tend to grow as fast as document count grows. And, some fields
> have a much more limited vocabulary (unique terms), so a leading wildcard
> is not necessarily a big performance hit.
>
> Technology advances. We should permit our mindsets to advance as well.
>
> -- Jack Krupansky
>

> -----Original Message----- From: François Schiettecatte
> Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 2:38 PM
> To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Is leading wildcard search turned on by default in Solr 3.6.1?
>

> John
>
> You can still use leading wildcards even if you dont have the
> ReversedWildcardFilterFactory in your analysis but it means you will be
> scanning the entire dictionary when the search is run which can be a
> performance issue. If you do use ReversedWildcardFilterFactory you wont
> have that performance issue but you will increase the overall size of your
> index. Its a tradeoff.
>
> When I looked into it for a site I built I decided that the tradeoff was
> not worth it (after benchmarking) given how few leading wildcards searches
> it was getting.
>
> Best regards
>
> François
>

> On Nov 12, 2012, at 5:33 PM, johnmunir@aol.com wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>

>> I'm migrating from Solr 1.2 to 3.6.1.  I used the same analyzer as I was,
>> and re-indexed my data.  I did not add
>> solr.**ReversedWildcardFilterFactory to my index analyzer, but yet
>> leading wild cards are working!!  Does this mean it's turned on by default?
>>  If so, how do I turn it off, and what are the implication of leaving ON?
>> Won't my searches be slower and consume more memory?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> --MJ

Dmitry Kan

Re: Is leading wildcard search turned on by default in Solr 3.6.1?

Posted by François Schiettecatte <fs...@gmail.com>.
John