Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Pierre-Yves LANDRON <pl...@hotmail.com> on 2009/03/25 08:12:47 UTC

Status of an update request

Hello,

When I send an update or a commit to solr via curl, the response I get is formated in HTML ; I can't find a way to have a machine readable response file.
Here what is said on the subject in the solr config file :
"The response format differs from solr1.1 formatting and returns a standard error code.
 To enable solr1.1 behavior, remove the /update handler or change its path"
What I want, however, is an accurate description of the error and not just a standard Apache error code.
Is there a way to obtain an XML response file from solr ?

Thanks,
Kind regards,
P-YL

Re: Status of an update request

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > What I want, however, is an accurate description of the error and not just
: > a standard Apache error code.
: > Is there a way to obtain an XML response file from solr ?

: If the update command executes successfully, then the response is XML. In
: case of error, the error page is generated by the servlet container which is
: HTML I guess. Not sure what can be done about that. Perhaps Solr can have
: its own error pages which output XML with the stack trace information and
: the correct HTTP return codes?

I opened an issue for this waaaaaay back when, but most people don't seem
to mind "unstructured" error messages so it was never really prioritized.

If someone wants to dust off SOLR-141 and beat it into shape, that would
be cool (It looks like Daniel did some work at some point, but I don't
know if anyone else has ever tried out his patch)...

-Hoss

Re: Status of an update request

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Pierre-Yves LANDRON
<pl...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I send an update or a commit to solr via curl, the response I get is
> formated in HTML ; I can't find a way to have a machine readable response
> file.
> Here what is said on the subject in the solr config file :
> "The response format differs from solr1.1 formatting and returns a standard
> error code.
>  To enable solr1.1 behavior, remove the /update handler or change its path"
> What I want, however, is an accurate description of the error and not just
> a standard Apache error code.
> Is there a way to obtain an XML response file from solr ?

If the update command executes successfully, then the response is XML. In
case of error, the error page is generated by the servlet container which is
HTML I guess. Not sure what can be done about that. Perhaps Solr can have
its own error pages which output XML with the stack trace information and
the correct HTTP return codes?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.