Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dale, Matt" <Ma...@beCogent.com> on 2004/03/15 21:40:33 UTC

help needed building JK2 connector

Hi,

I have Redhat 9 with Tomcat 5 installed and is working fine.

Apache 2.0.40 is installed by default and i'd rather stick with that because it is integrated with a nifty configuration tool.

I'd like to link apache and tomcat with the JK2 connector which I have no problems with. As far as I can tell there is no binary download for linux so I have to build it.

The questions I have are.

Is there any documentation on building the JK2? Particularly the command line parameters

As it is the default RPM install of tomcat there doesnt seem a sensible Apache2 home that needs to be set for the build, is there something I should set this to?

If this cant work would I be able to compile using apache 2.0.48 and use the library with apache 2.0.40?

Any other advice on building the connector?

Thanks
Matt

[Shameless Plug] Re: help needed building JK2 connector

Posted by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net>.
Adrian Lanning wrote:

>Hi Matt,
>I have built JK2 successfully several times on Redhat 9 with Tomcat 5 and
>Apache 2.0.48.  The problem I had with the default apache installed on rh
>9.0 was that mine didn't have the apxs program or maybe it was some missing
>libraries.. In any case I had to build apache 2.0.48 from src first before I
>could get it to work.
>
>I used the tutorial by Pascal Chong (thanks Pascal!):
>http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat5/book1.html
>
>Here's another resource for building jk2:
>http://www.thinlizard.com/lizard/modjk2.html
>
>hth,
>Adrian Lanning

Thanks Adrian !

I have updated my website and revised my original Tomcat 4 write-up, and
added a new appendix to the Tomcat 5 write-up that covers an alternative
method of mapping web applications in a Tomcat-Apache-mod_jk2
configuration. This appendix is for people who keep getting 404 errors
after integrating Apache and Tomcat, and applies in particular to
Mandrake Advanced Extranet Server users. The credit for the solution
should also go to Trevor Butler, who collaborated with me on this.

Please note : because I use Docbook to generate my HTML pages, the URLs
for the individual pages may change. If you wish to bookmark my stuff,
use the following URLs only:

Tomcat 4 : http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat4/book1.html
Tomcat 5 : http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat5/book1.html

Latest news and updates are posted on the home page : http://cymulacrum.net/

Please read the terms and conditions, if you are going to be using my
documentation : http://cymulacrum.net/terms.html
(People like you, Adrian, are nice, but I get an inordinate amount of
hate mail for my write-ups. Hence the necessity for the Terms and
Conditions)

--
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and
to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and

Re: help needed building JK2 connector

Posted by Vi <vi...@bexout.com>.
Hi, first of all, rh9 has really odd thing about apache. Apache comes
without apxs2 by default. If you install
apache-dev rpm it should apear. There are other problems, like libs
missing. So basicaly if you REALLY NEED
mod_jk2, recompile apache and reinstall it :( sorry. I have already
working server, which I can't risk with, so
I used mod_proxy.
Apache home if for apache source code dir.  You can get command line
parameters doing: ./configure --help|less :)
Using mod_proxy suits my needs, and probably will suit yours. But if you
will rebuild apache and reinstall it, please
mail me how it went.