Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Poornima Prabhu <Po...@Kewill.com> on 2001/03/22 18:27:36 UTC

RE: How to preserve spaces when escape characters(like '&', '>',' <' etc) encountered?

I have the following problem while parsing with Xerces-J 1.3.0

<City>SOUTH &amp; FIELD</City>

would parse it as SOUTH&FIELD  with no spaces after SOUTH and before FIELD.

I would like it to be SOUTH & FIELD.

I am concatenating SOUTH+&+FIELD through characters( ) callback;(which calls
this 3 times )

1)"SOUTH"
2) "&"
3)"FIELD"

But the parser doesn't distinguish between "SOUTH&FIELD"  and "SOUTH &
FIELD". Both of them would be parsed like "SOUTH&FIELD".  So how can I
preserve spaces when escape characters like '&' ,'<', '>' are encountered?

Thx.