Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Evan Bollig <bo...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/11 08:38:46 UTC

deploy war to remote repository

Im running maven 2 and need to deploy a war to a remote tomcat server.
The goal is to limit the deployment to one command: mvn tomcat:deploy
or mvn cargo:deploy, so checking out a plugin (i.e. the latest
tomcat-maven-plugin) and manually compiling it is not an option; if
this can be automated by maven I havent figured out how. I found two
pre-deployed plugins: cargo and the maven-tomcat-plugin, but I cant
get either one configured correctly. From the cargo docs, I found how
to specify the remote host, username, etc, but I still face a problem
that the server is apache-tomcat 5.5.15 and the manager url ends with
/manager/html instead of /manager the way cargo is pre-configured. As
for the other plugin, once I got maven to download
tomcat-maven-plugin-1.0-SNAPSHOT from snapshots.maven.codehaus.org, I
found that it wont accept a different destination url (even though I
follow to a T what the docs say should work).

Im sure someone on this list has gone through this process before. Can
you post some tips, or an example of a working pom that does a remote
deployment?

-Evan Bollig
bollig@gmail.com

Re: deploy war to remote repository

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
I think /manager/html is just the web view.  It is this way in Tomcat
5.0, 4.x, etc. too.  /manager is still the right configuration.

-Stephen

On 3/11/06, Evan Bollig <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Im running maven 2 and need to deploy a war to a remote tomcat server.
> The goal is to limit the deployment to one command: mvn tomcat:deploy
> or mvn cargo:deploy, so checking out a plugin (i.e. the latest
> tomcat-maven-plugin) and manually compiling it is not an option; if
> this can be automated by maven I havent figured out how. I found two
> pre-deployed plugins: cargo and the maven-tomcat-plugin, but I cant
> get either one configured correctly. From the cargo docs, I found how
> to specify the remote host, username, etc, but I still face a problem
> that the server is apache-tomcat 5.5.15 and the manager url ends with
> /manager/html instead of /manager the way cargo is pre-configured. As
> for the other plugin, once I got maven to download
> tomcat-maven-plugin-1.0-SNAPSHOT from snapshots.maven.codehaus.org, I
> found that it wont accept a different destination url (even though I
> follow to a T what the docs say should work).
>
> Im sure someone on this list has gone through this process before. Can
> you post some tips, or an example of a working pom that does a remote
> deployment?

> -Evan Bollig
> bollig@gmail.com

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: deploy war to remote repository

Posted by Gordon Erlebacher <er...@scs.fsu.edu>.
When I say "one command" , I mean "one user command". Just
create a script file that contains multiple maven and other
commands. YOu understand?

 Gordon

Quoting Evan Bollig <bo...@gmail.com>:

> Im running maven 2 and need to deploy a war to a remote tomcat server.
> The goal is to limit the deployment to one command: mvn tomcat:deploy
> or mvn cargo:deploy, so checking out a plugin (i.e. the latest
> tomcat-maven-plugin) and manually compiling it is not an option; if
> this can be automated by maven I havent figured out how. I found two
> pre-deployed plugins: cargo and the maven-tomcat-plugin, but I cant
> get either one configured correctly. From the cargo docs, I found how
> to specify the remote host, username, etc, but I still face a problem
> that the server is apache-tomcat 5.5.15 and the manager url ends with
> /manager/html instead of /manager the way cargo is pre-configured. As
> for the other plugin, once I got maven to download
> tomcat-maven-plugin-1.0-SNAPSHOT from snapshots.maven.codehaus.org, I
> found that it wont accept a different destination url (even though I
> follow to a T what the docs say should work).
>
> Im sure someone on this list has gone through this process before. Can
> you post some tips, or an example of a working pom that does a remote
> deployment?

> -Evan Bollig
> bollig@gmail.com

Gordon Erlebacher