Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Heppenstall <Da...@rci.rogers.com> on 2006/03/07 16:45:58 UTC

[users@httpd] RADIUS and Subversion config

Hello,

I'm having some problems configuring Apache while serving Subversion
Repositories in conjunction with RADIUS authentication.

The basic configuration of Apache with DAV svn works perfectly for anon
access:
<Location /svnbackdoor>
  DAV svn
  SVNParentPath /opt/svn
</Location>

In addition, I have added the FreeRadius mod_auth_radius module to
Apache and have also managed to get this working:
<Location /securetest>
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "RADIUS authentication for no reason."
  AuthAuthoritative off
  AuthRadiusAuthoritative on
  AuthRadiusCookieValid 5
  AuthRadiusActive On
  require valid-user
</Location>

I assumed that just by concatenating these two fully-functioning
configurations that I would have a working RADIUS-Authenticated
Subversion url: <Location /svn>
  DAV svn
  SVNParentPath /opt/svn
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "RADIUS authentication."
  AuthAuthoritative off
  AuthRadiusAuthoritative on
  AuthRadiusCookieValid 5
  AuthRadiusActive On
  require valid-user
</Location>

As you can see, all I did was put the options together in the same
<Location> directive. However, when I try to view the url in a web
browser, I am presented with a 404 error after entering a correct
username and password. In the CLI client, I get 405 Method Not Allowed.
I speculate that once RADIUS authentication is completed, the request is
interpreted to be a literal filesystem path within DocumentRoot and my
DAV Svn instruction is ignored.

Is there any solution to configure Apache to permit RADIUS-authenticated
access to Subversion repositories? I would very much appreciate any
pointers, assistance or guidance you may have.

Thank you.

 - Dave Heppenstall
   david.heppenstall AT rci DOT rogers DOT com

Re: [users@httpd] RADIUS and Subversion config

Posted by "Neil A. Hillard" <hi...@whl.co.uk>.
Chaps,

Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:45:58AM -0500, David Heppenstall wrote:
>> I'm having some problems configuring Apache while serving Subversion
>> Repositories in conjunction with RADIUS authentication.
>
> There is an age-old bug in mod_auth_radius which causes spurious 404
> errors with pretty much any use of DAV in Apache:
>
> http://mailman.lyra.org/pipermail/dav-dev/2001-January/001897.html
>
> just find the section of code in mod_auth_radius where it returns
> HTTP_NOT_FOUND and remove it.

Apologies for the lateness of this reply but you may also like to try
mod_auth_xradius: http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_auth_xradius/

HTH,

				Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk
Westland Helicopters Ltd.       http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
             views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.

Re: [users@httpd] RADIUS and Subversion config

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:45:58AM -0500, David Heppenstall wrote:
> I'm having some problems configuring Apache while serving Subversion
> Repositories in conjunction with RADIUS authentication.

There is an age-old bug in mod_auth_radius which causes spurious 404
errors with pretty much any use of DAV in Apache:

http://mailman.lyra.org/pipermail/dav-dev/2001-January/001897.html

just find the section of code in mod_auth_radius where it returns
HTTP_NOT_FOUND and remove it.

Regards,

joe