Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alexander der Grosse <Al...@gmx.net> on 2005/01/13 15:10:34 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem restarting Apache gracefully

Hello,

I've a problem restarting the Apache (2.0.52) gracefully. I compiled Apache
myself (no apt-get, yast installation). Operation System is Debian stable.
When I want to restart the webserver, the various apache instances are
shutting down. Only the mother process remains. After all instances are shut
down, the apache doesn't take new clients. After 5-10 minutes, the apache
works normal.
I get some warnings when I type in "apachectl graceful", that some
DocumentRoots does not exist, but I think this should be not the problem.
I have 3000-4000 VHosts.

Can someone help me, please? The Apache should only reload the vhosts.

bg, alex

(sorry for my bad english)

--
+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More +++
1 GB Mailbox bereits in GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

Re: [users@httpd] Problem restarting Apache gracefully

Posted by Alexander der Grosse <Al...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

I'm using "apachectl graceful".

bg, alex

Posted by JM Fraser <jm...@cybertrex.co.uk>.
I've just done a search on my box for "apachectl" and I can't find it! It's
also not listed with my rc scripts for start/stop. Didn't notice this
before.

Posted by Alexander der Grosse <Al...@gmx.net>.
Hello,

I think apachectl and apache2ctl is the same.
I downloaded the sources from the apache website and compiled Apache myself.
I can find all the Apache files in /usr/local/apache2.

"/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl graceful" is the command I'm executing.

I'm looking for days for a solution, but I can't find any. Is it possible,
that this is a bug, or is it possible, that I have too less ram (I don't
think so)?
I definitly cannot find a solution, but there must be a solution, otherwise
Confixx cannot reload the apache without a breakdown.

Is there no way? I only need to reload the VHosts.

alex

Posted by Alfred Vahau <Al...@upng.ac.pg>.

Posted by JM Fraser <jm...@cybertrex.co.uk>.

Posted by Grand Apeiron <Gr...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Alexander der Grosse <Al...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Alexander der Grosse <Al...@gmx.net>.
Hello,

I get the following warnings (20-30):

Warning: DocumentRoot [/nfs/webs/usr3233/html] does not exist

I think this should not be the problem.

When I execute "apachectl graceful" this takes 5-10 minutes. Then all the
instances are shutting down.
According to the manual of Apache, the server should work out instances.
Why Apache doesn't work?

alex

> Yes, that is the correct way to restart Apache. What happens when you stop
> Apache, wait for all processes to exit and then start? Also, when you
> execute "apachectl graceful" what errors do you get?
>

> On 14:35:00 January 13, 2005 Preston Podaril <pp...@ispi.net> wrote:
> > I too have noticed this in our web cluster, but it doesn't happen
> > consistently and is sporadic on what machines it happens on.  We are
> > running Apache 1.3.33 mod_ssl on Solaris 8.
> >
> > I am assuming that like us, a graceful restart of apache is done
> > simply with
> > apachectl graceful
> >
> > This has begun happening amongst the problems with the memory leaks,
> > I have a feeling they are quite closely related, but have yet to
> > narrow anything down.
> >
> > Preston Podaril
> > ppod@ispi.net
> > Network Administrator
> > ispi of Lincoln
> >

> > JM Fraser wrote:
> > >  What commands do you execute to restart Apache in a graceful
> > >  fashion?

+++ Sparen Sie mit GMX DSL +++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
AKTION für Wechsler: DSL-Tarife ab 3,99 EUR/Monat + Startguthaben

Re: [users@httpd] Problem restarting Apache gracefully

Posted by JM Fraser <jm...@cybertrex.co.uk>.

Posted by Preston Podaril <pp...@ispi.net>.

Posted by JM Fraser <jm...@cybertrex.co.uk>.