Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2007/10/15 12:30:32 UTC

[POLL:RESULTS] User poll on Java version requirements

Dear Apache XML Graphics Batik/FOP/Commons users,

the user poll is now closed and the results are available on the
following Wiki page:

http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics/UserPollOct2007

Thanks a lot to all who took the time to fill out the survey. Based on
the results we can say that it's safe to drop support for Java 1.3 on
future versions. If we're going to skip directly to Java 1.5 needs some
more discussion among the project team. The results here are not as
clear. The discussion and decision making will happen on
general@xmlgraphics.apache.org if anyone (non-committers welcome, too!)
is interested.

Thanks,
Jeremias Maerki

Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
That's the logical consequence, isn't it? Updating Checkstyle is totally
independent of that, of course, but certainly no opposition from me here.

Jeremias Maerki

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Retroweaver [1] is probably a more current tool. Sun's is from 2001, I
think. But still, if we change to 1.5 within a year anyway, it's
probably not worth going through that learning-curve. You still have to
make sure you don't use any new features from the 1.5 class-library. And
there are a few nice things to be found there.

[1] http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/

Jeremias Maerki

Posted by Max Berger <ma...@berger.name>.
Dear XMLGraphics Dev,

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Oct 17, 2007, at 10:16, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> No reactions so far. Interesting. Anyway, based on the user poll, my
> opinion is to go for Java 1.4 for the moment and reevaluate Java 1.5
> next summer. I mean I'd love to use generics and java.util.concurrent
> but I think it is just a bit too soon to drop 1.4.
>
> Any objections to that course of action? Should we have a majority
> decision on whether 1.4 or 1.5 should be the new minimal Java level?

Not as far as I'm concerned. +1 for staying with 1.4 for the time being.

Chris is right. We don't really /need/ 1.5 to implement new features.
It would be more a convenience than a necessity, so has very low
priority IMO.
Should anyone feel compelled to use 1.5, he could always integrate it
much in the same way the 1.3-1.4 gap has been dealt with (separate
build targets to be able to build on both versions without too much
hassle).

Cheers

Andreas

Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On 10/17/07, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> No reactions so far. Interesting. Anyway, based on the user poll, my
> opinion is to go for Java 1.4 for the moment and reevaluate Java 1.5
> next summer. I mean I'd love to use generics and java.util.concurrent
> but I think it is just a bit too soon to drop 1.4.
>
> Any objections to that course of action? Should we have a majority
> decision on whether 1.4 or 1.5 should be the new minimal Java level?
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Java 1.4 seems the safer bet. Anyone who needs pre-1.4 can use 0.20.5
or 0.93 (or pre-0.94). I see the logic in maintaining support for 1.4
until Sun completes the End of Life process for it.

We may want consider explicitly stating when we plan to drop support
for JDK 1.4 in our road map (e.g., fop-1.0--or whatever version--will
be the last planned release of FOP to support JDK 1.4).

BTW Max, thanks for the analysis of systems. It might be nice to do a
similar survey of JDK versio support for FOP, that we could add to our
FAQ.

The Web Maestro
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.
For as long as Sun continue to support a version of Java I think that we should continue to try and
support it.  So I'd just drop 1.3 and go with 1.4 for now.

Adrian.

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Chris Bowditch schrieb:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
>> No reactions so far. Interesting. Anyway, based on the user poll, my
>> opinion is to go for Java 1.4 for the moment and reevaluate Java 1.5
>> next summer. I mean I'd love to use generics and java.util.concurrent
>> but I think it is just a bit too soon to drop 1.4.
>
> I agree. I don't want Java 1.4 dropped yet because of the type of
> environments where FOP will typically be used, i.e. Batch Processing
> environments which are often old mainframes, e.g. AS/400, or other older
> and less popular Unix flavours. Most of these older environments simply
> cannot be upgraded to newer JDKs and by excluding them we are making

We're using FOP on some AS/400s - but still version 0.20.5 ;-)

Anyway, +1 for switching to Java 1.4 now.

--
Christian

Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki a écrit :
> No reactions so far. Interesting. Anyway, based on the user poll, my
> opinion is to go for Java 1.4 for the moment and reevaluate Java 1.5
> next summer. I mean I'd love to use generics and java.util.concurrent
> but I think it is just a bit too soon to drop 1.4.
>
> Any objections to that course of action? Should we have a majority
> decision on whether 1.4 or 1.5 should be the new minimal Java level?

Were I to vote, I’d vote for 1.5, but it seems I’d be the only one... So
I would be ok with sticking to 1.4 for the next release, and then switch
to 1.5.

And generics /are/ definitely life-changing :-P

<snip/>

Vincent

Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?

Posted by Max Berger <ma...@berger.name>.
Dear XMLGraphics Devs,

Jeuclid is at 1.5, because generics andnums make programming much
easier, and annotations make it safer.

However: I've encountered different environments where 1.4 runs stable,
and 1.5 is an addon / does not work properly.

Examples:

OpenBSD (1.4 runs very well, 1.5 still crashes every once in a while)

OS X (1.4 was the default on 10.4 installations, 1.5 needs to be
installed / configured separately)

Linux / Sparc ( There is no "Sun" JDK 1.5, and the latest one is
blackdowns 1.4 )

GCJ: There is partiall support for 1.5, but i've had real problems
getting it to work stable.

All this will change once OpenJDK and / or IcedTea becomes available and
works properly.

my 2 cts.

Max

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Jeremias Maerki:
> No reactions so far. Interesting. Anyway, based on the user poll, my
> opinion is to go for Java 1.4 for the moment and reevaluate Java 1.5
> next summer. I mean I'd love to use generics and java.util.concurrent
> but I think it is just a bit too soon to drop 1.4.
>
> Any objections to that course of action? Should we have a majority
> decision on whether 1.4 or 1.5 should be the new minimal Java level?

Agreed.  Much as I’d like to move to 1.5, it seems moving to 1.4 is the
safer option.  And it’s not like going from 1.3 -> 1.4 -> 1.5 will take
much more effort than 1.3 -> 1.5.

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <pi...@databaar.ch>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.