Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@letsgetnuts.com> on 2009/03/05 19:55:37 UTC

jetty vs tomcat

Is there any compelling reason to use tomcat instead of jetty if all
we're doing is using solr?  We don't use tomcat anywhere else.
--
Jonathan Haddad
http://www.rustyrazorblade.com

Re: jetty vs tomcat

Posted by Ian Connor <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

At Pubget we are also happy with jetty (distributed over a number of shards
and just adding more this week).

Just search around for a good init.d script to start it up, and we use monit
to keep it up:

init.d snippet:

START_COMMAND="java -Dsolr.data.dir=/solr8983 -Djetty.port=8983
-DSTOP.PORT=8079 -DSTOP.KEY=solrprod -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -jar start.jar"
STOP_COMMAND="java -Dsolr.data.dir=/solr8983 -Djetty.port=8983
-DSTOP.PORT=8079 -DSTOP.KEY=solrprod -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -jar start.jar
--stop"

start() {
  echo -n "Starting $NAME"
  cd $SOLR_HOME
  rm -f /solr8983/index/lucene-*-write.lock
  $START_COMMAND 2> $LOG_FILE &
  sleep 2
  echo `ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep "$START_COMMAND" | awk '{print $2}'` >
$PIDFILE
  echo "Done"
  return 0
}

stop() {
  echo -n "Stopping $NAME"
  cd $SOLR_HOME
  $STOP_COMMAND &
  pkill -9 -f solr8983
  rm -f $PIDFILE
  echo "Done"
  return 0
}

monit snippet:
check process solr.production with pidfile /solr8983/solr.production.pid
  group search
  if failed host localhost port 8983 then restart
  start program = "/etc/init.d/solr.production start"
  stop  program = "/etc/init.d/solr.production stop"
  if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Glen Newton <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Performance comparison link:
> - "Jetty vs Tomcat: A Comparative Analysis". prepared by Greg Wilkins
> - May, 2008.
> http://www.webtide.com/choose/jetty.jsp
>

> 2009/3/5 Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>:
> > That being said... I don't think there is a strong reason to go out of
> your
> > way to install Tomcat and do the additional config.  I'd say just use
> Jetty
> > until you have some other reason not to.
> >
> > http://www.lucidimagination.com/search is currently powered by Jetty,
> and we
> > have no plans to switch.
> >
> >        Erik
> >
> > On Mar 5, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
> >
> >> The jetty vs tomcat vs resin vs whatever question pretty much comes down
> >> to what you are comfortable running/managing.
> >>
> >> Solr tries its best to stay container agnostic.

> --
>
> -

Ian Connor

Re: jetty vs tomcat