Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com> on 2008/12/12 02:43:26 UTC

RE: Query Performance while updating teh index

We are still having this problem. I am wondering if it can be fixed with
autowarm settings. Is there a reliable formula for determining the autowarm
settings?

Re: Query Performance while updating teh index

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Just to clarify - we do not optimize on the slaves at all. We only optimize
: on the master.

that doesn't change anything about hte comments that i made before.  it
*really* wouldn't make sense to optimize on a slave right before pulling a
new snapshot, but it still doesn't make any more sense to optimize on a
master right before doing some updates and then pulling a new snapshot.
my second comment also still applies: a snappull after an optimize is
always going to be involve more churn on the disk...

: > : We do optimize the index before updates but we get tehse performance
: > issues
: > : even when we pull an empty snapshot. Thus even when our update is tiny,
: > the
: > : performance issues still happen.
: >
: > FWIW: this behavior doesn't make a lot of sense -- optimizing just
: > before you are about to make updates/additions ot your data, is a complete
: > waste.  the main value in optimizing your index is that you have one
: > segment, as soon as you add a docment that changes.
: >
: > the other thing to keep in mind is that an optimized index is a completley
: > new segment as a new file with a new name, so there is going to be added
: > overhead on the slave machines as the OS purges the old index files and
: > replaces them with the new optimized index files -- more overhead then if
: > you had just done your additions w/o optimizing first.

-Hoss

Re: Query Performance while updating teh index

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.
Just to calrify - we do not optimize on teh slaves at all. We only optimize
on the master.

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.
Just to calrify - we do not optimize on the slaves at all. We only optimize
on the master.

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.
We've tried it. There doesn't seem to be any connection between GC and the
bad performance spikes.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Oleg,

This is more of an OS-level thing that Solr-thing, it seems from your emails.  If you send answers to my questions we'll be able to help more.

Otis

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
Right, query cache typically has a lower hit ratio, and one check per
request - often not worth autowarming much.
The filter cache can be a different story with a higher hit ratio, and
higher number of checks per request.

-Yonik

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.
Should this autowarm value be set based on the number of lookups? From the
info I provided that like 60k.  filterCache{lookups=58522

Will 25k be enough?

Also, does that mean that we have to at least increase the size and initial
size as big as we set the autowarm?

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.
I just verified this. The slowness occurs after auto warm is done.

Oleg

RE: Query Performance while updating teh index

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
It looks like cache warming is taking about 12 seconds.  It sounds like you need to see if performance is bad during warming, or right after warming (and right after the new searcher gets exposed to queries).

Otis

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.
Hey Otis,

Do you think our problem is slow warm time, or too few items that are being
copied?

Oleg

Re: Query Performance while updating teh index

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Oleg,

The reliable formula is situation-specific, I think.  One sure way to decrease the warm time is to minimize the number of items to copy from old caches to new caches on warmup.

Otis