Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Guy Davis <Gu...@intervera.com> on 2005/01/13 00:15:42 UTC

Consistent java.exe crash for site:generate

I was hoping that someone may have run into this before.  I'm trying to
move our current large project using Ant over to Maven for building.
The jar target works fine.  However when I run site:generate, I can
consistently get a Windows error report message that java.exe has
crashed.  This is using 1.4.2_01 (from JBuilderX), Maven 1.0.2, and
Windows XP SP2.  The error report always occurs before the goal
completes, but it happens at different steps indicating that it's
probably memory related or a native JVM thing, rather than a bug in a
particular plugin.

I tried setting MAVEN_OPTS to '-Xmx700m -server' but it didn't help.
Any other ideas?  Is there a way to run each sub-goal of site:generate
one by one to see if I can isolate the problem.  I really would like to
move to Maven, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know if
I can provide any more information that would help.

Thanks,

Guy

Re: Consistent java.exe crash for site:generate

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Guy,

some more thoughts to solve your problem - I had this problem a long
time ago with a few hundred files of generated source code. In my case
it was theJavaDoc and ages ago JavaDoc used a seperate process therefore
an -Xmx magic did not work. I just checked the plugin and it is quite
confusing now but there is still a maven.javadoc.maxmemory property.
Don't know if this has any affect though

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Jon Strayer <jo...@gmail.com>.
Guy Davis wrote:
> I was hoping that someone may have run into this before.  I'm trying to
> move our current large project using Ant over to Maven for building.
> The jar target works fine.  However when I run site:generate, I can
> consistently get a Windows error report message that java.exe has
> crashed.  This is using 1.4.2_01 (from JBuilderX), Maven 1.0.2, and
> Windows XP SP2.  The error report always occurs before the goal
> completes, but it happens at different steps indicating that it's
> probably memory related or a native JVM thing, rather than a bug in a
> particular plugin.
>

> I tried setting MAVEN_OPTS to '-Xmx700m -server' but it didn't help.
> Any other ideas?  Is there a way to run each sub-goal of site:generate
> one by one to see if I can isolate the problem.  I really would like to
> move to Maven, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know if
> I can provide any more information that would help.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Guy

Jeffrey Brekke posted this work arround for out of memory errors:

My current workaround is this in my maven.xml:

   <goal
     name="meta:site">

     <exec
       executable="${maven.home}/bin/maven"
       failonerror="false">
       <arg value="-f"/>
       <arg value="${basedir}/project.xml"/>
       <arg value="site:deploy"/>
     </exec>

   </goal>

And then use multiproject:goal:

maven -Dgoal=meta:site multiproject:goal

Fugly, but it works.

----

Old age is not so bad when you consider the alternatives.

Re: Consistent java.exe crash for site:generate

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
can you get a later 1.4.2 JVM? I'm sure if you scroll the release
notes you'll spot a few crash fixes which might be related.

One suggestion I'd make is to disable the checkstyle and linkcheck
plugins. These are the most resource intensive (unless all your code
is formatted according to rules and all your links are relative :)

Cheers,
Brett