Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com> on 2001/05/18 20:06:18 UTC

FYI - Errors reported by Visual Age for Java

Just thought I would send along this bit of info to the James Developers....  I loaded the source code (everything that was in the source directory) that was part of the 1.2.1 release of James into my Visual Age for Java development environment and it report that there were 183 problems, 162 of which were errors and 21 warnings. Unfortuantely I cannot show the error messages here, Visual Age seems to have a problem with cutting the error messages to the clipboard and I don't know if it is possible to have it generate a report in an ascii text tile. Anywise,  I suspect there are some missing (maybe 3rd party?) packages that were not part of the James source distribution??? If so, what do I need and where would I find them? If they are 3rd party packages, I wouldn't mind just loading their class jars that are needed and not the java source code itself.....

   Marc....

A man said unto the universe -  "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe  "I do not see where that creates in me a sense of an obligation."
          - Stephen Crane

Re: FYI - Errors reported by Visual Age for Java

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 03:11 PM 5/18/01 -0700, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>Never mind this original report, I discovered that I still had a missing
library in my development environment, so that cleared up most of these
problems... However, I still got a few problems to resolve and they boil
down to the following error messages that I am getting -

>Interface Store.Repository is missing
>Interface TimeServer.Bell is missing
>Interface SocketServer.SocketHandler is missing
>
>So if someone could tell me where these interfaces hide out at, I would
much appreciate it...

A lot of these "features" have been fixed with latest version of Avalon.
The problem is that VAJava is not spec compliant (specifically fails a lot
of inner class related stuff). I reworked Avalon to get around it .... you
should be able to download latest CVS of Avalon and James and they should
all disappear.

>Within the DNSJava.jar file I got this error message -
>Interface javax.crypto.interfaces.DHPublicKey is missing
>
>Within the town.jar file I got these error messages -
>Interface javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.BodyTag is missing
>Superclass javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.TagExtraInfo is missing
>Interface javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.Tag is missing

they are uneeded by James so you can probably just ignore them ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Re: FYI - Errors reported by Visual Age for Java

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com>.
Never mind this original report, I discovered that I still had a missing library in my development environment, so that cleared up most of these problems... However, I still got a few problems to resolve and they boil down to the following error messages that I am getting -

Interface Store.Repository is missing
Interface TimeServer.Bell is missing
Interface SocketServer.SocketHandler is missing

So if someone could tell me where these interfaces hide out at, I would much appreciate it... The rest of the errors (below) that I am still getting, I suspect are due to the fact that I don't have the Sun SDKEE2 classes in my IBM Visual Age development environment?

Within the DNSJava.jar file I got this error message -
Interface javax.crypto.interfaces.DHPublicKey is missing

Within the town.jar file I got these error messages -
Interface javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.BodyTag is missing
Superclass javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.TagExtraInfo is missing
Interface javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.Tag is missing

    Marc...