Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/13 19:10:11 UTC

Atomic Update at Solrj For a Newly Added Schema Field

I use Solr 4.5.1 I have indexed some documents and decided to add a new
field to my schema after a time later. I want to use Atomic Updates for
that newly added field. I use Solrj for indexing. However due to there is
no field named as I've newly added Solr does not make an atomic update for
existing documents. I do not want to reindex my whole data. Any ideas for
it?

Re: Atomic Update at Solrj For a Newly Added Schema Field

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I don't think this is a problem, what are you seeing? Have you
tried it and get an error?

The only reason you need to have fields stored is so _existing_
documents with _existing_ data gets into the new doc. Since
you've just added a field, you should be fine. It's just that updating
documents already in your index won't have any value in the new
field unless you specifically add it in the new version. So yes, to
get values in all of your _existing_ records you need to at least
add all the docs again, in which case you might as well re-index.

But if you can live with some of the docs not having the value,
you shouldn't need to.

If you're seeing other behavior tell us what you're seeing..

Best,
Erick