Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jack Holt <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/13 16:58:41 UTC

Passing data into a Velocity Template from a Spring Controller

Can anyone tell me or point me to something that explains how to pass
data from a Spring controller to a Velocity Template?  I know about
using Velocity View Resolvers.  I have successfully called Velocity
Views from Spring Controllers but I'm unable to make the connection
between a Spring model and a Velocity context.
 I've read all the documentation I can find on using Velocity with
Spring (for instance the section starting on page 139 of the Spring
Reference Manual).

 How do I make the connection?

Re: Passing data into a Velocity Template from a Spring Controller

Posted by Jack Holt <ja...@gmail.com>.
Great! I look forward to seeing the Wiki because I plan to use the
same mix of Spring, Velocity and Hibernate myself!

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
TWIMC,

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Tim Diggins wrote:

> But I would recommend following through the spring mvc tutorial (except
> for the last page on db-stuff which has lots of locking problems... at
> least when launched from within eclipse ...).

It seems the tutorial was written for an older version of hsqldb (not
that I know much about it...). I put:

COMMIT;
SHUTDOWN;

before the sql end tag in the following Ant tasks from the tutorial:
createTables, dropTables and loadData

best,
-Rob

Re: Help using velocity tools

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wayne,

> I need to be able to do some date processing in my macros, I saw the
> velocitytools stuff and it will do what I need, but how do I access/use
> the tools in my macros?

Just put it in the Context.
   http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/developer-guide.html#The%20Context

Or if you're using VelocityViewServlet, put it in the toolbox.xml.
   http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/tools/view/index.html#Toolbox%20Configuration

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--
Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>

Help using velocity tools

Posted by Wayne Andersen <wa...@clima-tech.com>.
I need to be able to do some date processing in my macros, I saw the
velocitytools stuff and it will do what I need, but how do I access/use
the tools in my macros?

Wayne L Andersen
System Administrator
Clima-Tech Corporation
208-947-1849

Re: Passing data into a Velocity Template from a Spring Controller

Posted by Jack Holt <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.  It works just like you said. Of course, previously I had
already tried exactly what you said, but it didn't work.  I guess I
needed to reload the app in the server and had neglected to.

Posted by Tim Diggins <su...@red56.co.uk>.
Hi Jack -

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
The controller model should automatically populate the Velocity context.  I
followed the examples in the Spring reference manual and it worked fine.

Let me make a simple example.

WILL