Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Tricia Williams <wi...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/26 05:41:42 UTC

Scheduling DIH

Hello,

    Is there a best way to schedule the DataImportHandler?  The idea
being to schedule a delta-import every Sunday morning at 7am or perhaps
every hour without human intervention.  Writing a cron job to do this
wouldn't be difficult.  I'm just wondering is this a built in feature?

Tricia

Re: Scheduling DIH

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
right now a cron job is the only option.

building this into DIH has been a common request?

What do others think about this?

--
--Noble Paul

Re: Scheduling DIH

Posted by fergus mcmenemie <fe...@twig.me.uk>.
Hmmmm, my tuppence worth!

IMHO I do not think this should be built into solr. Doing it properly
leads to all kinds of nasty platform dependent issues... will we then
want to add notification features on success/failure? via email?

Ideally, all the scheduled activities on a system should be centralised
in one place such as cron, or as few places as possible. From a system
administration point of view there is then a single locations from where
everything can be viewed and controlled. There are generally
dependencies between different activities and having to chase around and
configure many separate proprietary schedulers is a nuisance as well as
being error prone.

Fergus.