Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu> on 2007/03/27 20:28:06 UTC

LICENSE and NOTICE in META-INF

So I got pinged again by the repository folks, this time Daniel Kulp.

None of our maven artifacts have a LICENSE or NOTICE file in them, and
apparently this is also required per
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html:

> Does the policy apply to binary/object files, such as executables or
> JAR files?
>
> Yes. Even if there are no source files within the release, the
> LICENSE file and NOTICE file are still both required within every ASF
> distribution -- whether the unit of distribution is a .jar, .msi,
> .tar/.?gz, .zip, .exe installer, or any other file format used for
> distributions. For example, Windows .exe files must not be used as a
> unit of distribution unless they are installers and include the
> LICENSE and NOTICE files in their installation.

This is in Jira as PLUTO-349.

I'm not sure where this leaves us with our existing releases.

Elliot

Re: LICENSE and NOTICE in META-INF

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
Ate,

Nice, thanks for the pointer!!!

I will definitely take a look at the maven-remote-resources-plugin and
see if it will meet our needs.

Best,

Elliot

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
There's version 1.2 of the resource bundle jar.  I'm goign to give that
a try..

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
There are some 3rd party jars like Sun stuff.  We can hack the plugin to
manually map the information for missing projects if people think we
need to do so.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Elliot Metsger wrote:
> So I got pinged again by the repository folks, this time Daniel Kulp.
>
> None of our maven artifacts have a LICENSE or NOTICE file in them, and
> apparently this is also required per
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html:
>
>> Does the policy apply to binary/object files, such as executables or
>> JAR files?
>>
>> Yes. Even if there are no source files within the release, the
>> LICENSE file and NOTICE file are still both required within every ASF
>> distribution -- whether the unit of distribution is a .jar, .msi,
>> .tar/.?gz, .zip, .exe installer, or any other file format used for
>> distributions. For example, Windows .exe files must not be used as a
>> unit of distribution unless they are installers and include the
>> LICENSE and NOTICE files in their installation.
>
> This is in Jira as PLUTO-349.

Elliot,

Not sure if this is going to work for Pluto but I've tried out the new (Alpha) maven-remote-resources-plugin for Jetspeed-2.

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
I have made progress.  I have a patch for the
maven-remote-resources-plugin which allows one to add <supplement>
elements to the maven-remote-resources-plugin in your POM:

                 <artifactId>maven-remote-resources-plugin</artifactId>
                 <executions>
                   <execution>
                     <goals>
                       <goal>process</goal>
                     </goals>
                     <configuration>
                       <supplements>
                         <supplement>
                           <![CDATA[
                             <project>
                               <groupId>xerces</groupId>
                               <artifactId>xmlParserAPIs</artifactId>
                               <name>Apache Xerces</name>
                               <url>http://xerces.apache.org/</url>
                               <organization>
                                 <name>Apache Software Foundation</name>
                                 <url>http://www.apache.org/</url>
                               </organization>
                             </project>
                           ]]>
                         </supplement>

			... more <supplement> elements ...

Anything included in the <supplement> is merged with the existing model
for the artifact.  Right now <groupId> and <artifactId> are required
elements.

The CDATA is kind of ugly but I don't know how/have time to make it
better.  I plan to add support for packaging the supplements up in a jar
file instead of polluting the pom with hundreds of lines of XML.

I'll put the plugin in Pluto under a Pluto groupId, extending the
maven-remote-resources plugin, so we can move forward with a release
(maven release plugin wouldn't allow us to release with a dependency on
a snapshot version of maven-remote-resources).  I'll submit a patch to
the Maven group, and hopefully it will get accepted for the next release
of the maven-remote-resources plugin.

Hopefully I'll have this banged out by tomorrow eve.

Elliot

David H. DeWolf wrote:
> I'd say we do that and also add download urls for all of them so they
> appear like xml-apis.

<snip>

Re: LICENSE and NOTICE in META-INF

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
Okie dokie i'll get cracking.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Elliot Metsger wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> David H. DeWolf wrpte:
>>> Everything is already mirrored, we should only need to update for the
>>> future.  My understanding is that we can't modify releases that have
>>> already been published - and frankly, I REALLY don't want to go down
>>> that path.
>>>
>> Yepp, I think we should push a new release out as soon as possible.
>
> Should we forgo announcing and updating the Pluto website for the 1.1.2
> release?  Obviously the damage is done with the distros and artifacts
> already published to the mirrors, but no need to exacerbate the situation.
>
> I think we should just wait until the corrected 1.1.3 release is out and
> then make the announcements.

I think we can continue with announcing 1.1.2 as it's better from a
technical and legal aspect as 1.1.1. It's not perfect wrt to the notice
file, but 1.1.1 isn't this either.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: LICENSE and NOTICE in META-INF

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
David H. DeWolf wrpte:

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
Me neither.  I don't want to touch what we've already released.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.