Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org> on 2000/12/20 18:50:06 UTC

buildconf/configure problem?

Okay, for the life of me, I can't figure out if I'm doing anything wrong
here or not.

I checkout fresh versions of httpd-2.0, apr, and apr-util. I then run
./builconf in httpd-2.0, which does it's job of generating all the
configure stuffs there and in the various sub packages (apr, apr-util,
pcre, etc).

I then run ./configure in httpd-2.0 (./configure
--prefix=/local/apache-2.0 --with-mpm=dexter) and it starts, but seemingly
fails after configuring libtool. It does spit out an error... the output
looks like this:

[apache@lithium]/local/src/apache-dev/httpd-2.0#./configure
--prefix=/local/apache-2.0 --with-mpm=dexter
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
Applying hints file rules for sparc-sun-solaris2.8
Applying hints file rules for sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking for rm... /usr/bin/rm
checking dynamic linker characteristics... solaris2.8 ld.so
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
updating cache /dev/null
[apache@lithium]/local/src/apache-dev/httpd-2.0#

That obviously doesnt look right... and I noticed that the configure
script doesnt start right off the bat by creating a config.cache, as well.

Any thoughts?

/dale

Re: buildconf/configure problem?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org> writes:

> Okay, for the life of me, I can't figure out if I'm doing anything wrong
> here or not.

I have no idea either.  A build and minimal execution of
httpd-2.0+apr+apr-util completed successfully for me a couple of hours
ago on Solaris 8 (SPARC).  The level of autoconf on that box is 2.13.

I will send you privately the stdout from buildconf and configure.
(There was no stderr other than the usual complaint when shtool is used
with no terminal.)  Perhaps you can compare this with the output on
your system and find something weird other than the cache location?

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: Nevermind (was buildconf/configure problem?)

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 01:08:52PM -0500, Dale Ghent wrote:
> >
> > It seems that I was using a broken version of autoconf. Downgraded to
> > 2.13, and all is fine now. I'm just not having a good couple of days here.
>
> What *were* you using?
>
> It would be a Bad Thing if we weren't compatible with newer versions of
> autoconf.

    autoconf 2.49 is incompatible with the rest of the world,
    including packages like all released versions of libtool.  I
    would not worry too much about it.

    - Sascha

Re: Nevermind (was buildconf/configure problem?)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 01:08:52PM -0500, Dale Ghent wrote:

> It seems that I was using a broken version of autoconf. Downgraded to
> 2.13, and all is fine now. I'm just not having a good couple of days here.

What *were* you using?

It would be a Bad Thing if we weren't compatible with newer versions of
autoconf.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Nevermind (was buildconf/configure problem?)

Posted by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>.
It seems that I was using a broken version of autoconf. Downgraded to
2.13, and all is fine now. I'm just not having a good couple of days here.

Bang on...
/dale