Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adrian Woodhead <ad...@last.fm> on 2008/04/04 17:24:58 UTC

how to NOT log "WARNING: Parameters: Invalid chunk ignored." messages

Hey there,

We have a web-app which receives hundreds of requests per second, many
of the requests coming from 3rd party apps which we have no control
over. Now, it seems like some of these apps are sending us request
strings ending in && which results in a message like this in catalina.out:

WARNING: Parameters: Invalid chunk ignored.

We cannot contact the developers and have them remove the &&'s and our
log is filling up with thousands of these messages every minute. I am
aware that we can safely ignore this but it's a waste of time and space
in our log files and I would like to disable logging this. I tracked
down the class which does it and read up on tomcat logging conf and
tried adding the following line to TOMCAT_HOME/conf/logging.properties:

org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters = ERROR

With no luck. I even tried modifying the JDK's logging properties in
JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/logging.properties to also contain that line. Again,
no luck. We are running tomcat 6.0.16.

How do I do this?

Regards,

Adrian

Re: how to NOT log "WARNING: Parameters: Invalid chunk ignored." messages

Posted by Adrian Woodhead <ad...@last.fm>.
OK, so I got this to work by modifying my JRE's logging.properties file
and adding this line:

org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters.level = SEVERE

(ERROR is a log4j concept, SEVERE is for java logging). When I put this
exact same line just in tomcat's conf/logging.properties file it had no
effect whatsoever. So my question now is, why are the values in tomcat's
logging.properties ignored? It's much more convenient and intuitive to
configure it here rather than modifying it at the JRE level. Is this a bug?

Posted by Adrian Woodhead <ad...@last.fm>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.